Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the title pretty much says it all. I am tired of peeling back the 8.8 cover on the rocks...so I am looking at upgrading it. Convince me why I should lean one way or the other? I like the look of the riddler more...but honestly, does it really matter since its just gonna get scraped across the rocks. What I am looking for is a reason I shouldnt just get the SOLID cover since you can pick them up for about half the price of the Riddler covers. What would make the riddler cover that much better?

VS.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Clearance can be a big deal on a jeep, fractions of an inch can be the difference between working and not working. I figure as long as it holds up to some abuse, itll work. I just wanted some input from some guys as far as strength is concerned. With such a significant price difference, I didn't know if SOLID was lacking somewhere.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Both are track bar smashers.

I couldn't make a Riddler fit on my setup...needed 3.5" bumpstop extension and ~6" of lift :rofl:.

I got the Solid to work after cutting the cover in half and welding it back together, then grinding it down to fit.

In retrospect, should have gone with a Barnett.

For the rear 8.8 only, I've heard the Riddler is pretty low profile. So you may have success there, but keep in mind the clearance to the gas tank is pretty tight. My Solid rear cover barely clears the Savvy gas tank skid, on the smaller D44.

IMHO...Barnett's the way to go...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I have the Riddler for my 8.8 I have no issues with clearance, but things are close. If I had to guess, I'd say it's pretty close to what Unlimited's picture shows.

I'm very happy with mine; I've drug/hit it a good bit without any issues, and I haven't been able to peel back the cover regardless of how much I drag the diff on the rocks. I'm anxiously awaiting some 35s so that I'm not dragging the diff as much; the 8.8 is certainly a pig of an axle.

The thing I like about the Riddler covers is they protect the bolt heads a bit better.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
geiman said:
The thing I like about the Riddler covers is they protect the bolt heads a bit better.
This is true, however the 60ish dollars saved on a solid, could buy a lot of new bolts if ever needed.

From what I've managed to find online and from u guys in this thread, there's not really any faults to either of these as far as strength is concerned. The only complaints I've managed to find we're ranger guys that bought the solid cover which doesn't fit rangers lol. Other than than it seems that most people are happy with both covers.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
This is true, however the 60ish dollars saved on a solid, could buy a lot of new bolts if ever needed.
That's true, but I'd much rather spend a little more and not have to deal with rounded off bolt heads every time I change the diff fluid. Buying bolts are the least of my worries.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts

From what I've managed to find online and from u guys in this thread, there's not really any faults to either of these as far as strength is concerned. The only complaints I've managed to find we're ranger guys that bought the solid cover which doesn't fit rangers lol. Other than than it seems that most people are happy with both covers.
as far as strength and quality of manufacturing, I think Riddler takes the win. But there is nothing wrong with Solid at all.

Both are stronger than you'll ever have a need for. In fact, I bet you bend a housing before you do more than scratch the paint on either.

but all that is irrelevant if the damn thing doesn't fit or clear.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
Both are stronger than you'll ever have a need for. In fact, I bet you bend a housing before you do more than scratch the paint on either.

but all that is irrelevant if the damn thing doesn't fit or clear.
I figure most diff covers are overbuilt. But clearance definitely matters.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
FWIW, I have no clearance issues with a 2" lift and fat diff covers. Stock gas tank and mine clears just fine. The closest thing that comes to rubbing is actually my Currie steering at full lock.

I think with a 4" lift even with adjustable track bars you will be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any clearance issues with the D30 front Riddler and the OEM (ZJ) steering?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I haven't looked in to clearance issues yet but I like the idea of fabricated covers over something cast like those. UCF builds good stuff

·
Registered
8 Posts
major. see post #4.
I see the trackbar on the rear problem -- don't have that issue with the Krawler lift (no rear trackbar). I can see the obvious issues with the Solid front, but the Riddler doesn't have the same wide flat head going all the way across like Solid.

Specific question, Riddler on front D30 -- anybody running one? I had them on my last CJ-7, 44's front and rear, and they are indestructible. I have the rear 44 for my TJ and a 30 on order, but I could still cancel if its not going to work.

Thanks in advance,
Iz

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I haven't looked in to clearance issues yet but I like the idea of fabricated covers over something cast like those. UCF builds good stuff
If I remember correctly, the link freeskier posted shows that the fabricated covers like UCFs stick out farther than the cast ones and have less clearance (at least with the 8.8). Not saying they aren't good, just make sure you've got room for them.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I see the trackbar on the rear problem -- don't have that issue with the Krawler lift (no rear trackbar). I can see the obvious issues with the Solid front, but the Riddler doesn't have the same wide flat head going all the way across like Solid.

Specific question, Riddler on front D30 -- anybody running one? I had them on my last CJ-7, 44's front and rear, and they are indestructible. I have the rear 44 for my TJ and a 30 on order, but I could still cancel if its not going to work.

Thanks in advance,
Iz
you're mistaken and confusing front and rear axles. read post #4 more closely.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
As far as strength, if you crack a cast cover, your doing something wrong. Those "bulletproof" fabricated covers are just way overkill for majority of rigs. My jeep has been fine for the last 15+ years with stock covers, the only reason I put a Solid cover on the 8.8 is the junkyard punctured the stock one to drain it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
you're mistaken and confusing front and rear axles. read post #4 more closely.
I see my mistake, gotcha. I'll take a peek at mine, flex it on the lift, and with the front trackbar frame bracket I have, will see how close I come to it at full stuff.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts