Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have feedback on the ride quality of the JLU vs JKU? I have a JKU Sport right now and am thinking about changing it out for the JLU, probably also a Sport but considering a Rubicon. I’ve researched the features, and I’ll obviously do a test drive, but I was hoping to get input from people who have actually owned / own both and had to live with them day to day.

I’m obviously not expecting a plush ride, but improvement in ride quality in the JLU would be a nice bonus. I searched the forum but couldn’t seem to find anything on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I haven't driven a JLU yet, but with the squishy springs and really squishy seats in the JKU it feels softer than the family Cadillac does lol.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I have a JKU and have driven a JLU a few times on and off road. The best thing of course is to go drive one and decide for yourself.. I found they are very similar in ride. however I would say the JLU rode a bit better, more smooth. The JT on the other hand that I got to drive road super smooth.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Longer the wheel base the better it gets BUT the better the suspension gets....
Both my JKUR and JLUR benefited greatly from lift and tires.

I DD my JLUR and have taken it to the OBX several times, about to go again and head to Ft. Benning Ga. will drive the Jeep.

Rides great, handles good too. If it didn't I rent something to drive instead.

* I'd give the OE nod to the JL but stock they are close.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
My lifted JKUR rides as smooth as the road is. You get a real feel for the road. I rode in a lifted JLUR with 37's at 4 West, it was awsome.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I went from JKU to JLU, both Sport S models, and I remember thinking "Gosh, this thing is stiff" when I brought the JLU home. Felt like it had a firmer ride, not sure if it's the coils or the shocks or the control arm geometry, but something made it more firm.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Possibly the JKU had softened...
Possibly. But it had 13,000 miles on it when I traded it in, so if it had softened up that much then it was junk. :drinks:

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Possibly. But it had 13,000 miles on it when I traded it in, so if it had softened up that much then it was junk. :drinks:
Me thinks - Not a softening issue. I dunno. I drove my (not stock) JKURHR 2 hours to the dealer, jumped in my JLUR turned around and drove home.
Pretty close to an A/B comparo can't say I noticed any difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To close the loop on this (I’m the OP), today I picked up a 2019 JLUR. Pretty much fully loaded in Ocean Blue, including matching hardtop and fender flares. I didn’t really appreciate all the little, and big, improvements over my JK until I had a chance to see it in person.

The ride quality is marginally better in the JLUR vs my JKU Sport. The 8 speed transmission is much more responsive though. Now to start shopping for accessories...

·
Registered
176 Posts
my JK was a 2 door so the short wheel base the ride was terrible IMHO when I test drove the JLU longer wheel base I couldn't believe I was even driving a Jeep I couldn't wait to trade in my 15 Sahara

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
To close the loop on this (I’m the OP), today I picked up a 2019 JLUR. Pretty much fully loaded in Ocean Blue, including matching hardtop and fender flares. I didn’t really appreciate all the little, and big, improvements over my JK until I had a chance to see it in person.

The ride quality is marginally better in the JLUR vs my JKU Sport. The 8 speed transmission is much more responsive though. Now to start shopping for accessories...
Oh Noo! Not the Accessories!! (Oh no How will this end) Stay tuned :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
JL Sport ride is a little bit better than the ride with my JK. The Sahara I test drove was 10x as better on street, but I prefer a more rugged ride.

·
Registered
176 Posts
JL Sport ride is a little bit better than the ride with my JK. The Sahara I test drove was 10x as better on street, but I prefer a more rugged ride.
my understanding the sahara has a different suspension, shocks and brakes than the sport

·
Registered
380 Posts
my understanding the sahara has a different suspension, shocks and brakes than the sport
I'm not 100% on brakes but Sahara definitely has a different suspension/shocks. The JL Sahara felt like a crossover to me it rode so nice on the street.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
I'm not 100% on brakes but Sahara definitely has a different suspension/shocks.
Both Rubicon and Sahara have upgraded/bigger brakes than Sport

Front
Rotor size and type:
12.9 x .94 (330 x 24) vented rotor – Sport
12.9 x 1.1 (330 x 28) vented rotor – Sahara and Rubicon

Caliper size and type:
1.88 (48) twin-piston floating caliper – Sport
2 (51) twin-piston floating caliper – Sahara and Rubicon

Rear:
Rotor size and type:
12.9 x .47 (328 x 12) solid rotor – Sport
13.4 x .55 (342 x 14) solid rotor – Sahara and Rubicon

Caliper size and type:
1.77 (45) single-piston floating caliper – Sport
1.88 (48) single-piston floating caliper – Sahara and Rubicon

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not 100% on brakes but Sahara definitely has a different suspension/shocks. The JL Sahara felt like a crossover to me it rode so nice on the street.
Both Rubicon and Sahara have upgraded/bigger brakes than Sport

Front
Rotor size and type:
12.9 x .94 (330 x 24) vented rotor – Sport
12.9 x 1.1 (330 x 28) vented rotor – Sahara and Rubicon

Caliper size and type:
1.88 (48) twin-piston floating caliper – Sport
2 (51) twin-piston floating caliper – Sahara and Rubicon

Rear:
Rotor size and type:
12.9 x .47 (328 x 12) solid rotor – Sport
13.4 x .55 (342 x 14) solid rotor – Sahara and Rubicon

Caliper size and type:
1.77 (45) single-piston floating caliper – Sport
1.88 (48) single-piston floating caliper – Sahara and Rubicon
When I ordered the Altitude package on my sport two of the major upgrades is the heavy duty shocks and heavy duty brakes which is standard on the Sahara and Rubicon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts