Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 jk 2 door.

Added a 2.5 inch Rock Krawler stock mod, which soon after Rock Krawler changed their lifts to be 2 door/4 door specific. So technically now I have a 3.5 inch "stock mod".

With the stock mod I added AEV Geometry brackets up front and Rock Krawler's rear lower control arms. On top of that I bought some Fox adjustable piggyback Reservior shocks. Some expensive stuff for what I thought would be a dream ride.

Lastly, these are on 35 inch MTRs with Kevlar.

At first it rode HORRIBLE. Like almost undriveable. Once the loft got broken it, and I tuned the shocks a bit it got better, but it still is pretty stiff. I got a Trail Dash to bring my tire pressure down to 24 with no light. I don't know what else I can do to make it ride nicer.

My brother has a spacer lift with bilistien shocks. Rides smoother than mine it feels like, while mine cost 5 times his. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
None of the parts you mentioned are designed to give a soft comfortable ride. They're designed for performance.

IMO You can't be surprised that it rides firmer.

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts
try some cheap rancho 5000X shocks. You should be able to pick a set up for under $200 and there is a $56 rebate so very cheap to try something different.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
As BBS said you installed a set of parts designed for performance particularly the shocks. Don't confuse performance with comfort, they are usually on opposite ends of the spectrum.

The Fox shocks are outstanding if you are going to hammer on the suspension but if comfort is main criteria you should sell them. In lieu of that try the following:

1. Dial the compression damping way down
2. Drop the air pressure down to 28 PSI. I hate recommending this but it will help.
3. Check the angle of the front lower CAs. If it is not close to stock, then use the next lower setting on the AEV brackets. It is possible you ended up with a lot more than 2.5" of lift in the front
4.Install the adjustable front lower CA to further improve your Caster. This will only impact steering not ride quality.

Great looking rig and dog! :thumb:

·
Registered
174 Posts
With those shocks you should be able to dial them down to have a nice soft ride. I hear folks say 4ish on the road...what are you running them at?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
As BBS said you installed a set of parts designed for performance particularly the shocks. Don't confuse performance with comfort, they are usually on opposite ends of the spectrum. The Fox shocks are outstanding if you are going to hammer on the suspension but if comfort is main criteria you should sell them. In lieu of that try the following: 1. Dial the compression damping way down 2. Drop the air pressure down to 28 PSI. I hate recommending this but it will help. 3. Check the angle of the front lower CAs. If it is not close to stock, then use the next lower setting on the AEV brackets. It is possible you ended up with a lot more than 2.5" of lift in the front 4.Install the adjustable front lower CA to further improve your Caster. This will only impact steering not ride quality. Great looking rig and dog! :thumb:
If hes @ 3.5-4" increasing caster will only cause issues with the driveline.
My personal experience, having both uppers and lowers positioning the axles for/aft helped smoothen out the ride. Better than the GEO brackets imo.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Those tires are not going to be forgiving in the comfort department either. Stiff stiff stiff sidewalls. I know, I have them. I keep mine at 26 psi. And those shocks are meant for ripping through the desert at speed, not cruising around town in comfort.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just installed recently a 3.5" RK X Factor with Rancho 9000's. I have them set on 3 and she rides like a old school Caddy....soft and rolly.....I love it on the road. Dial it up to 6-7 for offroad. The previous lift with Mopar shocks rode like a dump truck compared to this. I can actually drink coffee on the way to work.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
I just installed recently a 3.5" RK X Factor with Rancho 9000's. I have them set on 3 and she rides like a old school Caddy....soft and rolly.....I love it on the road. Dial it up to 6-7 for offroad. The previous lift with Mopar shocks rode like a dump truck compared to this. I can actually drink coffee on the way to work.
LOL nice good to hear ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts