Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rotated my tires the other day and checked the front pads as a matter of course. L side minimal wear but R side really worn down. L tire rotates freely with ffont jacked but R is a little stiff. I had installed BMB pads, Centric rotors and calipers 2 years/25K miles ago. I suspect the hose may be the issue as they could be OE on this 2004. I will do the hoses and also see if the caliper pisron can be freed up. Question is, could i just replace the pads on the R side (and caliper, if needed) since the L pads are almost fully intact (miles were nearly all highway)? Would Blaine sell just one side? Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Pads will be sold in pairs...
Do yourself a favor and just replace both calipers....

In my time I have found and replaced close to 100 bad calipers and while I have replaced goses it has only been due to weather cracking... I have never yet found one causing brake issues.

Not saying it can't happen but just that the caluper is sooooo much more likely

·
Registered
137 Posts
Moisture can and will get into the brake fluid. Thats how my front caliper seized. Just replace both calipers, chances are the other one isnt far behind the bad one.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am sporting AZ calipers on the front. They are cheap, cheap, cheap. If I need new ones in a couple years I will buy (or exchange for free) new ones.

Hoses and the rest of the parts I got from rockauto. Sometimes rotors are even cheap on rockauto.

Keep an eye on your brakes and wheel bearings. A year is a long time for safety equipment.

Feel for heat when you are driving distances. Many parts make excessive heat before serious problems occur.

Definitely flush new brake fluid through the system from time to time.

5000 mile schedule is easy to follow for rotation and safety check. It is easy to notice on the odometer.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Also check your steering knuckles for divots. Just had to replace both of mine. This thread here shows what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it was a stiff piston. I replaced the caliper, both hoses, pads on both sides. The other caliper piston moved easily and the rotor is barely worn in so left that side alone for now. The torx bolts on the lines needed a torch to come loose, but replaced them and the bolts with a hex head which can be accessed with a crescent or box wrench. The knuckles look okay but not like new (WI road salt) and I plan to clean them up. For now the BMB pads are broken in and the Jeep stops straight. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts