Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted some shots of my Rigid Rock Light install in another thread and was asked how these compared to the Amazon Chinese versions. My curiosity was piqued so I ordered some knock-offs to compare.

Hallway shot of Chinese

Hallway shot of Rigid

Physical comparisons

Chinese = $34.90 for 4
Rigid = $ 153.89 for 2

·
Registered
508 Posts
I went with two sets of $34.90 for a total of 8, no way I'm paying over $600.00 for rock lights, that's insane.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It runs in my family. Honestly, I don't blame you. The test lights will get good use on Dad's CJ.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
You should do a longevity test.

I've had KO led lights. I ran them through socal elements and in less than a year, the powdercoat faded, the lens yellowing, and condensation. I got a free replacement and same thing happened. I switched all my lights to rigid. 2 years no issues.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have Rigid's on my motorcycle. I have had it on the bike since '09. Still works as advertised, not yellow. Been through several crashes as still works. Can't say the same for Chinese junk. Also, as an engineer I appreciate the engineering that goes into the lights.

OBTW, I will be putting Rigid's on the Jeep as I get around to the front end.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A thought on American made products... I am a machinist. My company pays me top dollar, pays medical,dental and vision for me and my family. I get 3 weeks paid vacation,paid sick leave, 10% 401k match. Made in U.S.A costs $$$. If anyone feels China made goods are a "bargain" , by all means buy them, just remember the job lost might be your own.

·
Registered
564 Posts
You have to pay to play I guess. I have rigid cubes and light bars, as my father in law does too. They are bright and can take a beating. If I had the money I would get them in a second. However, we went with cheap ones for the rock lights. In our case, they are more for show, not really much night wheeling around here.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I buy American wherever I can, especially for the Jeep. Life's been good and I can generally afford the difference. I totally get it that I have options that not everyone has... But I still stick to a budget and sometimes that means I simply don't buy an item/upgrade that I'd really like. I will also say that one side benefit is that the stuff is simply better in almost all cases.

I read thread after thread of failing LED's, unfixable flicker, rust, finish fading, color problems... And while you may get any of that with US products, it seems that within 12-24 months, you have to expect it with most Chinese stuff. Even when it works well, it's always second (or lower) rate.

One other point, while I'm on the topic:

Counterfeit products. F*** THAT. If I see a good design and a knock off, I don't care if it's from China, Germany or Houston. SCREW the company that is selling the knock off. Grab handles are one of the most common, but it's all over the place. Lights, bumpers, winches... You see a solid design and side by side (as in the top photo) there's a company who 100% stole everything about it, made a shoddy version, and f'd over the people who actually created the item in the first place. It's blatant theft, often illegal and if companies like Amazon actually had their shit together, it'd not be on their site.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
A thought on American made products... I am a machinist. My company pays me top dollar, pays medical,dental and vision for me and my family. I get 3 weeks paid vacation,paid sick leave, 10% 401k match. Made in U.S.A costs $$$. If anyone feels China made goods are a "bargain" , by all means buy them, just remember the job lost might be your own.
some made in the states products are crap and I would buy elsewhere.

·
Registered
39 Posts
FWIW, i bought a spanking new 50" E-series PRO (150313) from Hebronautoparts.com instead of the $300 chinese deals on amazon. The light showed up DOA. My options are to send it back to Rigid (in what packaging?) so they can "fix" my brand new light, or send it back to Hebronautoparts.com (in what packaging?) and wait for god knows how long until I get a new one. Or, I can BUY a new one (HAVE safe return packaging) and be out 1500 bucks until they get the old one back and refund my account 1 month later. I really wish I just bought 3 of the crappy ones right now. 900 bucks vs 2400 is where Im at right now (and i would have had yet another hot spare to boot). I have Rigid D-SS's, D2's in the rear, SPOD, and AEV parts. Im not a penny pincher. This is getting to down to time and common sense at this point. Ive had to manage this silly Return/RMA process for 3 days at least now. Alternately, spend the few extra hundred on tax and just buy it through your local retailer. This is garbage all around. Ive lived and learned.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought my AMP steps through ExtremeTerrain (the shiny new AMP XTreme with "Dual Motors"). The controller failed on them (numerous times). LUND sent me a new controller and didnt even want the old one back. That was great service by LUND. At the end of the day, that one failed too (too much NVH) and I wanted to return the steps outright. I sent the steps back about a week ago and still dont have the funds in my account. Meanwhile my Jeep has NO protection. Im rethinking all this "buying online and saving a few bucks" deal. Also wondering what the hell happened to we stand behind our products 100%. I got a broken ass light...send me a new one already. Hebron/RIGID...doesnt matter to me. I called both. One says, "buy another one and we will refund you for the return in like a month". The other says, "we will refurbish your new light and send it back. It'll be great". Mind blown. Send me a new light, ill send your old one back. If I dont, charge me. Its pretty simple and has been done before. I didnt make that process up this morning.

·
Registered
39 Posts
While I am calling out online vendors...I recently ordered (5) 10" Rigid light covers through stage3motorsports.com. Never received a "your product has shipped" email. I then received 1 out of 5 covers the next day. I had to email them and then they found an error in their fulfillment process. Good thing I called. 2 more will be here today, 2 more tomorrow. On the bright side, Quadratec and Northridge4x4 have been awesome. Especially Northridge. I have a good 10k+ into the Jeep. Its a shame that one or 2 bad actors ruin it for the masses.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
FWIW, i bought a spanking new 50" E-series PRO (150313) from Hebronautoparts.com instead of the $300 chinese deals on amazon. The light showed up DOA. My options are to send it back to Rigid (in what packaging?) so they can "fix" my brand new light, or send it back to Hebronautoparts.com (in what packaging?) and wait for god knows how long until I get a new one. Or, I can BUY a new one (HAVE safe return packaging) and be out 1500 bucks until they get the old one back and refund my account 1 month later. I really wish I just bought 3 of the crappy ones right now. 900 bucks vs 2400 is where Im at right now (and i would have had yet another hot spare to boot). I have Rigid D-SS's, D2's in the rear, SPOD, and AEV parts. Im not a penny pincher. This is getting to down to time and common sense at this point. Ive had to manage this silly Return/RMA process for 3 days at least now. Alternately, spend the few extra hundred on tax and just buy it through your local retailer. This is garbage all around. Ive lived and learned.
I had the same problem with Extreme Terrain on one of their raxiom light bars. Damn thing leaked and fogged up in less than a month. My only option were to send this one back (yeah, I didn't have the original packaging) or buy another one to be refunded once I returned the defective one.

Needless to say, I have stopped buying from Extreme Terrain. I now either buy from Quadratec or 4WP. At least from 4WP, I can walk into my local store and get service and satisfaction. Quadratec is good with pricing and great on returns.

·
Registered
39 Posts
UPDATE: Hebronautoparts.com owned up. They had me send the broken light back to RIGID after all anyways. Fortunately, they (Hebron) sent out a BRAND NEW LIGHT to me as soon as they saw activity on the tracking number for the old part. I wont be getting a fixed one back as a warranty repair. One thing I did learn, Quadratec could have hooked me up with the same price as Hebron. While they are on the other side of the country and take a bit longer to get here, their customer service and policies etc. are well worth the wait. I will most certainly do that next time around. I wish Hebron would not have punted the first time I contacted them. I wish RIGID would have just sent out a new light instead of offering to fix a brand new light. At the end of the day, they got my old light, and shipped a new one out (via Hebron) anyways. Frustrated me in the process of trying to understand their workflow and policies. I know they are better than that. They will get there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts