Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up-sizing my wheels and wondered what to get. I'm going to 33x12.5x15 but should I spend the extra for the 10" rims or would the 8" be ok? How fat of a tire can an 8" hold?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
either is fine. 15x10 gives a wider stance, 8" wide wheel will hold the bead better for aired down wheeling, but i've had both and never had a problem with either. choose what looks best to you. i like the stance of the 10 wheel in most cases

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found some M/T Classic II that only come in 15X8. The backspacing is 3 5/16 with an offset of 30mm. Will that be enough for my 08 "X" with a Skyjacker 2" lift?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
2" lift w/ 33's is gonna be pretty tight, but then again i don't know much about the sizes on jk though. sounds a little tight to me, but never seen one first hand..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the 23S pckg on my "X" which came with the 17" tires (255 75 17) which are a little over a 32" tire. The part I'm concerned with is the shock/frame rubbing. All the parts websites say the a JK only requires a 2" lift to run 33x12.5, but since I'm new at this I figured I would poll some experts out there. Thanks for all your inputs. I'm slowly figuring out this 4WD thing as I go.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
The stock JK rubi comes stock with 32's.;)

JK with 4'' lift can run 37'' tires.
jeeze, i kinda thought about that as i was writing that. back in the old days a 2" lift wouldn't clear a whole lot. then i thought about the rubi. but does an x have smaller suspension? i didn't catch what jk he's got.

·
That WF guy.
21,557 Posts
jeeze, i kinda thought about that as i was writing that. back in the old days a 2" lift wouldn't clear a whole lot. then i thought about the rubi. but does an x have smaller suspension? i didn't catch what jk he's got.
No height differance in the coils between the X and rubi model, same senerio as a TJ // x or rubi... Just a different coil rate.

·
That WF guy.
21,557 Posts
I got the 23S pckg on my "X" which came with the 17" tires (255 75 17) which are a little over a 32" tire. The part I'm concerned with is the shock/frame rubbing. All the parts websites say the a JK only requires a 2" lift to run 33x12.5, but since I'm new at this I figured I would poll some experts out there. Thanks for all your inputs. I'm slowly figuring out this 4WD thing as I go.
Yes you can run 33's with a 2'' lift on the JK.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
BUT>>>>>>>>> will a 15'' wheel clear your brake rotors/calipers???
Some 15" wheels don't.
You might want to get 16's instead. Or just run 255/85-16 mudders on your stock wheels... ...it's about the most popular overlander tire right now...

And you don't need any lift at all to run 33's unless you're going to disconnect the swaybar. You just need the correct backspacing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
A lot of 15" wheels will not clear the JK calipers or will reqire some grinding of the caliper to fit. If you are not sure of the fit and order them, it would be a good idea to test fit the wheel before you mount a tire to it. Most places won't let you return wheels once they have had a tire mounted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts