Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a flat recently, and went to install the repaired tire only to discover that the spare rim without the nuts and lifted will not come off. And no amount of pulling, or even hammering on the tire will get the rim to move. Anyone had this happen to them?

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is what I'm thinking......He pulled the flat tire off the jeep, put the spare on to get moving again. Now that he's got the original tire fixed, he wants to put it back on but can't get the spare off that's in it's place.....right???? That's kinda what I'm getting from it. As far as getting the spare off....hmmm. Try just "finger tightening" your lugs and lowering the jeep back down to the ground slowly with the jack until all pressure is off the jack. Then jack it back up and try again to pull it off. With the weight back on the wheel but loose it might break the rim loose from the hub enough to get if off. Or what if you put it in 4wd drive to lock the hub and grab the tire at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and and try to rotate it back and forth. You shouldn't be able to go far but if you rotate it vigorously back and forth a bit it might come off. Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
513 Posts
sounds like he needs a bigger hammer :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So yes, the spare rim will not come off. Sorry, should have re-read my post a couple of times to make sure it was clear. I have tried putting the nuts on loosely and putting pressure on the hub to see if it would release but no go. I tried a 16 pound post hammer on the tire. And all it did was bounce. I suspect the spare rim has never been used and thus the inside diameter is a tad small. So when I got the flat off and bolted the spare on it force fit onto the hub. I am going to see if I can borrow some jack stands and a pulled and see if I can encourage it to come off. A friend suggested putting a torch to the rim and warming it a bit to get it to expand.

Never seen this before.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I would take a guess and say either the rim went on crooked or its the wrong one....or excessive paint on the rim

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would advise against the torch, if the is going to make it expand (which it will), it's going to make it expand in all directions, meaning if the inside diameter of the rim is too small and has been forced onto the hub, it's only going to become tighter as the metal expands. At least that's what makes sense in my mind, but I've been wrong before....once. ha

·
Registered
253 Posts
Try pulling forward and backward a few times with the lugs loose

·
I Need A Cigarette
514 Posts
if its a steel wheel which I'm sure it is, hit THE WHEEL with a torch (nothing more than propane or MAPP) and give it hit from a rubber mallet.... make sure that wheel is off the ground (no weight on it) and I wouldn't use it for more that a spare once you heat it up....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Loosen up the lug nuts a smig and drive the thing off the curb in front of your house...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had the same problem. Loosen the lug nuts and drive the car, SLOWLY a few yards.
If you can make a turn to the side the troubled wheel is on it will help as well.

IMPORTANT !!!!!
ALL LUG NUTS SHOULD BE INSTALLED. JUST NOT TIGHTENED ALL THE WAY.
DO NOT EXCELERATE!! MOVING AT OTHER THAN IDLE SPEED COULD RESULT IN UNDESIRABLE RESULTS. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally got the tire off yesterday, took a good hour with a post hammer to encourage the spare tire to slide off. Seems, upon inspection that the spare rim interior bore was deformed, and hence why it stuck on.

But I did find out why in the first place the nice new BFG all terains went flat in the first place. There was no nail in them but seem the buddy of mine that owns this jeep never checks the tire pressure. He has a full size truck and just looks at the tires, and if they "look" good he drives them. I have owned a jeep with stiff tires before and if it was a Bonny 70 degrees you can reduce the tire pressure for a while to get across something soft, but not at highway speed. So as it turns out the tires where about 7 pounds (I had to fill them today), but my buddy said they where fine.

I think it is time for me to get my own jeep, it sickens me to watch the neglect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts