Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if 18 inch rims are standard on the 2010 X JK? I think thats what I have and am wondering if these monsters are what this comes with new? They do say Jeep on them?? What if I wanted to go to an alloy 16 inch rim? Would I have to change anything? Snowing in the Sierras tonight. Made me look at the tires.:blunt:

·
Registered
991 Posts
18" are standard on the Sahara only

17" for the 2010 X and 17" for the rubicon - you can check out jeep.com for the 2010's too...

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I have the Sport. It came stock with 16 inch. But was delivered with 17 as an option. Not certain, but I think 18 was on Sahara model.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Does anyone know if 18 inch rims are standard on the 2010 X JK? I think thats what I have and am wondering if these monsters are what this comes with new? They do say Jeep on them?? What if I wanted to go to an alloy 16 inch rim? Would I have to change anything? Snowing in the Sierras tonight. Made me look at the tires.:blunt:
A smart Sahara customer might've struck a deal where he told the dealer to remove the 18s and swap them with some 17s from another unit.
Leaving you with the crappy 18s.

Sell the 18s to an unwary mall-person and buy yourself some aftermarket wheels.
I think all the wheel turmoil is moot anyhow. Since none of the stock wheels have the right backspacing for 33"+ tires, aftermarket wheels are always a necessity anyhow if you want to go large.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Already said somewhat but to clarify:

Sport = 16" or 17" stock (225/75/16, 255/75/17)
Sahara = 18" stock (265/70/18)
Rubicon = 17" stock (255/75/17)

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
A smart Sahara customer might've struck a deal where he told the dealer to remove the 18s and swap them with some 17s from another unit.
Leaving you with the crappy 18s.

Sell the 18s to an unwary mall-person and buy yourself some aftermarket wheels.
I think all the wheel turmoil is moot anyhow. Since none of the stock wheels have the right backspacing for 33"+ tires, aftermarket wheels are always a necessity anyhow if you want to go large.
What he said, especially the bold part........... ;)

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
No. They'll just make you sad about how much you have to pay for tires and the fact that you can't put very wide tires on them.....

·
Bludger
12,830 Posts
Go to Quadratec .com & look at all the wheels, then when you choose one see if you can get them cheaper from 4wd.com. I just got some with a $50 discount & 15% off for 5 rims, they delivered them with free shipping within 3 days of the order. It has restored my faith in that company thats for sure. Then I got tires from Travis on (Discount tires) very good deal

·
Registered
889 Posts
If two identical Jeeps have these set ups which one has greater ground clearance?

Both have 2 inch lift. One has 16 inch wheel with 33 inch tires. One has 18 inch wheels with 33 inch tires. Is the axle height the most important or underbody?

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
33 is the diameter of the entire tire. It doesn't matter what size the wheel is the difference is that you have more tire wall height on a smaller wheel but a 33 is a 33 no matter if it is a 16 or 18. Center of axle to outer edge of tire will be the same for both

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
If two identical Jeeps have these set ups which one has greater ground clearance?

Both have 2 inch lift. One has 16 inch wheel with 33 inch tires. One has 18 inch wheels with 33 inch tires. Is the axle height the most important or underbody?
What weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of iron?
They're both a pound. But I'd rather have the feathers in my pillow...

The big differences for the Jeep owner:
1. 33s on 16s will air-down better and provide a nice large contact patch when traction is needed
2. 33s on 16s will air-down better and provide a contact patch that will deform better over sharp debris/obstacles that would otherwise puncture a tire
3. 33s on 16s will have a more comfortable ride
4. 33s for 16s cost much much less than 33s for 18s
5. There are more options for quality rubber in the 33 on 16 size category

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Reno_wrangler said:
So should I look at 15 or 16 inch rims? 16's sounds like the winners..I suppose 15 would be too small..?
15's could hit your brakes depending on the wheel. 16 sounds like it may be better for you.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Reno_wrangler said:
So should I look at 15 or 16 inch rims? 16's sounds like the winners..I suppose 15 would be too small..?
I honestly think a 17 inch wheel is the best all around wheel you can buy. Its comfortable on road, and offroad it can still airdown super low, and not have the huge sidewall belly at 10psi that a 16incher will. 16 wins the price game, but 17 wins all around functionality and looks in my book.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
There are factors to consider for choosing your wheels.
15s have the best rubber choices for sheer numbers and price; some don't fit though. Needs a small backspace number to fit.

16s have a great variety and price for rubber but not infinite.

And I'd pick a 17 if I were going 35 or larger.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I definately have 18's on this X Does that mean I had more miles on it than shown when I bought it? If I go down to 16's will the change in diameter effect the speedometer? Sorry so many questions..just trying to get a grasp on the whole tire thing and there is no better knowledge than experience...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts