Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if i could run 20 inch rims with 36 inch tires with 5 inches of lift on a 2012 JK. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
If you got the right size wheels, yes.

But 5" of lift is quite a bit more than you'll need to run 35s or 37s (tires generally aren't offered in a 36" size). You can do 35s on 2.5" of lift. 4" is really the most you'd need.

Using more lift than needed is fine if you like the look of extra space in the wheel well, but it adds considerable expense to do properly and safely.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The answer is yes, absolutely. However, what's the logic for the sizes you picked? There are very few 36" tires to choose from, and 20" rims are not optimal either.

I would personally go with 37" on 18" rims and a 4.5" lift if I had that kind of money.

At that height, you also need to be prepared for all the other changes that are necessary to handle the new geometry -- driveshafts, drag link, gearing, steering, etc etc...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The answer is yes, absolutely. However, what's the logic for the sizes you picked? There are very few 36" tires to choose from, and 20" rims are not optimal either.

I would personally go with 37" on 18" rims and a 4.5" lift if I had that kind of money.

At that height, you also need to be prepared for all the other changes that are necessary to handle the new geometry -- driveshafts, drag link, gearing, etc etc...
:thumb:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I basically want a monster daily driver, I just like big rims is all lol. I have been looking at long arm kits from synergy and fabtech, both 5 inch lifts. I am goin with the 5 inch just in case i wanna run 40s some day. Also the synergy long arm kit is the same price for 3 inch up to 7 inch and since the are costly I figure why not go with 5.5. I am very new to the Jeep world so i am still figuring out some of the basic stuff thanks to all you have been very helpful.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I basically want a monster daily driver, I just like big rims is all lol. I have been looking at long arm kits from synergy and fabtech, both 5 inch lifts. I am goin with the 5 inch just in case i wanna run 40s some day. Also the synergy long arm kit is the same price for 3 inch up to 7 inch and since the are costly I figure why not go with 5.5. I am very new to the Jeep world so i am still figuring out some of the basic stuff thanks to all you have been very helpful.
Just remember a jeep is not like a truck lift , the higher you go the more you are going to have to upgrade your suspension and by you using fabtech says you don't know about lifts on a jeep

4 is about the max you would want to go and you are still riding the line on upgrading a lot of stuff and you can still run 40's

I would say you need to find some lifted jeeps on 37 in person to get a feel how big they are at 3.5 to 4" lift is

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
jodatu86 said:
Check out the TerraFlex, MetalCloak and Rock Krawler lifts; and, like I said, you'll need to upgrade a lot more than just the suspension in order to run a lift that high and shoes that large.

Steering, gearing, axles, drag link, drivetrain, etc...

And there's no way in hell you should go that large for a true daily driver... Jeeps that size are built for two things, and only two things: SERIOUS wheeling and/or car shows, period.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts