Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought my 2013 JKU in for 4 year service. They changed diff fluids and just called and told me that the ring and pinion is falling apart (Dana 44). Sahara

Now I don't off road and have 25K miles mostly highway.

Normal issue?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Did they offer any proof? Was it making any noise?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they offer any proof? Was it making any noise?
I did not hear any noise, covered under warranty. I have been doing business with them for years. I'll ask for old parts.

The quote over phone was " the ring and pinion in the rear is falling apart"

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
You should tell them that the front can't be far behind so they should replace them both! Then ask if they can go ahead and install 4.88's!! LOL

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Would be a good time to add an E locker.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
"Falling apart" is not a technical term. What, exactly, did they find?

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Falling apart" is not a technical term. What, exactly, did they find?

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
That's what they told me over the phone after changing diff oil.
Holding till parts come in Tuesday.
I'll have to have my son pick it up too since I'll be away at work.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why did they even take the diff cover off? Should have been the new guy draining the diffs and refilling.
Good point. They called and suggested changing oil in both diffs. I said ok so done soon? Yes
An hour or so past they they called and said they found issue with rear diff.
I would think like you stated loosen fill plug then drain plug.

Unless maybe metal bits came out?

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Ring and pinion failure with stock gears on a street rig with 25k is NOT normal at all.

I would think the only reason to open it up would be they found a leak or shavings? I don't think they open it for just a standard fluid change.

Have you had any weird noises or rear driveshaft issues? If the rear driveshaft was bad and vibrating I suppose it's possible it could take out the gears. Also possible that an axle shaft going bad could take out r&p. I would definitely ask them to inspect for the cause. Maybe just a bad gearset/faulty manufacture, but if not and you don't find root cause - new gears will meet the same fate.

Is the Jeep otherwise stock or lifted with big tires?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ring and pinion failure with stock gears on a street rig with 25k is NOT normal at all.

I would think the only reason to open it up would be they found a leak or shavings? I don't think they open it for just a standard fluid change.

Have you had any weird noises or rear driveshaft issues? If the rear driveshaft was bad and vibrating I suppose it's possible it could take out the gears. Also possible that an axle shaft going bad could take out r&p. I would definitely ask them to inspect for the cause. Maybe just a bad gearset/faulty manufacture, but if not and you don't find root cause - new gears will meet the same fate.

I agree.

I can not imagine authorizing a dealer to do a R&P swap based on so little information and in such a low mileage vehicle.

Although R&P is commonly discussed in the Jeep/Off Road world - these are NOT common wear items. Many NEVER get fluid changes and people pull axles from junk yards and run em.

Something is wrong here.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Completely stock
I'll discus with mechanic Monday vs service manager to get full scoop

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I would want to see the failed parts in the Jeep before they remove them. Easy to say they were bad and we replaced them, then bill FCA.

·
Super Moderator
21,995 Posts
totally possible. there have been a number of spider gear failures including my buddy's 2014 with 3.73's and limited slip. My guess is the dealer drained the diff and noticed metal bits and pieces on the magnet and doing his/her due diligence pulled the cover. if the spider gears have let a few bigger pieces go thru the ring and pinion gears then probably a good move to replace them.

Not many dealers would be stupid enough to bill warranty work for unwarranted claims. I believe they need to submit digital photos for most warranty work and there is always the chance that Chrysler will request the parts back for evaluation especially in light of the fact that there has been recent issues.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
totally possible. there have been a number of spider gear failures including my buddy's 2014 with 3.73's and limited slip. My guess is the dealer drained the diff and noticed metal bits and pieces on the magnet and doing his/her due diligence pulled the cover. if the spider gears have let a few bigger pieces go thru the ring and pinion gears then probably a good move to replace them.

Not many dealers would be stupid enough to bill warranty work for unwarranted claims. I believe they need to submit digital photos for most warranty work and there is always the chance that Chrysler will request the parts back for evaluation especially in light of the fact that there has been recent issues.
Mine is 3.73 with limited slip also.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I don't understand why everyone is making a big deal and acting like the dealership is running a scam. It's under warranty. They aren't conning him out of anything.

Get the work done and who gives a shit about the old parts. You aren't out of anything....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts