Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 99 tj with the 30/35 axles. Just lost teeth on the rear pinion, I'm guessing that a previous owner ran it hard or installed incorrectly. I've had the Jeep for 7 months and daily drive it, took off from a stop light (not a hard launch) and the teeth came off, thought the rear end was going to explode.

Anyway, the axles are geared to 4.56. I'm looking to replace the ring and pinion. If money was less tight, I'd throw a 44 under it, but that's not an option at the moment.

Found the spicer ring and pinion on Morris 4x4 here:
https://www.morris4x4center.com/spicer-rear-dana-35-ring-pinion-set-4-56-ratio-spc-707244-5x.html

plus the carrier side bearing set for $31.

Seems like spicer would be the choice, but why is the yukon gear set so much more?
https://www.extremeterrain.com/yukon-gear-dana-35-456-8706.html

Is yukon gear better quality, or am I missing something?

Thanks for any input.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
6,633 Posts
revolution is king, but i have to ask, are you planning on installing them yourself and have you installed gears before?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
X2. If you are having a shop do this, let them supply the parts and the warranty afterwards.

What size tires are you running? What is your budget? If you offroad and want a locker in the future now might be a good time to turn your 35 into a super35 with revolution gear and axle's super 35 kit which includes either a detroit or an ARB locker, chromoly shafts, and master install kit. All youd need in addition is a new R&P

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm having a local shop do the work, because I'm not interested in sitting on the side of the road with a busted diff while I think back over my installation.

Anyway, the shop quote was $500 for parts and I was confused about what he was ordering. I just called and his quote includes all new axle bearing because he's worried about metal from the pinion teeth getting into the other bearings. His price includes all bearings for the axle plus the ring and pinion install, because he doesn't want me sitting on the side of the road thinking about how we probably should have gone ahead and replaced those bearings while the axle was apart. He had quotes for Spicer gears and Timken bearings so I told him to go ahead with it.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Now you need to worry about the front axle.

It appears who ever did the rear axle most likely did the front axle when the gear change was made.

I would recommend you have the shop open the front axle and at least do a visual.

But I would also recommend they check the back lash and the wear pattern on the gears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now you need to worry about the front axle.

It appears who ever did the rear axle most likely did the front axle when the gear change was made.

I would recommend you have the shop open the front axle and at least do a visual.

But I would also recommend they check the back lash and the wear pattern on the gears.

That's been on my mind. They're going on vacation next week, but I'll have it checked out when they do the axle. Thanks!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,000 Posts
X2 to the recommendations for Revolution Gear's R&P gears. All their gears are made by Circle K in S. Korea which has a superb reputation for the best quality aftermarket gears. I'm happily running their 5.38 gears. They even have a line of gears that are specially treated so they don't need a break-in. I STRONGLY suggest you insure the installing shop ONLY ONLY ONLY (!!!) uses a conventional gear lube to refill the differential after they're through. I don't care if they push synthetic, you don't want to use a synthetic for new gears, especially during the break-in process. It was found that gears run significantly hotter when lubed with a synthetic gear lube which is especially a bad thing during the break-in process. Revolution Gear specifically says to use a conventional, not a synthetic, gear lube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts