Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I recently began taking my 3.73 Dana 44 to 4.88. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic but man these gears are a different breed. Would anyone be able to translate this tooth pattern? I'm having trouble figuring out what adjustments to make. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
731 Posts
Out of curiosity....is there play in the pinion (can you move it in and out)? Did you install the crush sleeve while checking the pattern? Its best to leave it out until the final assembly. Im certainly not an expert, but I have set my own gears. That pattern looks really strange to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Out of curiosity....is there play in the pinion (can you move it in and out)? Did you install the crush sleeve while checking the pattern? Its best to leave it out until the final assembly. Im certainly not an expert, but I have set my own gears. That pattern looks really strange to me.
Agreed on the strange pattern - that's why I'm not even sure where to start.
I don't believe there's any play in the pinion. No crush sleeve either. Left it out and am using a setup race in place of the actual race so I can take it in and out to adjust pinion shims

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Looks like the pinion is loose as in no tension when turning the pattern. You have to keep tension on the pinion get a good inking. So you can either tighten the pinion nut so you feel resistance when you turn the carrier or wrap a rag around the yoke and have someone hold the pinion yoke to provide the resistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts