Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
so, I feel like this is a trick question or a joke but I will bite...

The ring gear is what the actual arrow next to where it says "ring gear" is touching. The ring gear is bolted to the right side (as you are looking at it) of what I am going to call the flange of the carrier.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Depends on your orientation, that's why you say "ring gear side". In the picture ring gear side is the left side, but if you switch orientation it would be the right side. When setting up gears you refer to it as ring gear or non ring gear side that way you can determine which side no matter your orientation.

This is especially important when working with the axle on stands, you may not always be working in the same orientation.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is an actual question and this is what made me wonder. Straight from Bill Vista's write up on gears:

Backlash Adjusted Via: Carrier shims. Adding shims on the ring-gear side of the carrier moves the ring-gear closer to the pinion, causing the teeth to mesh more closely.

So which side is the ring-gear side of the carrier?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Freeskier described it perfectly.

Here is a picture out of the FSM that might clear things up for you. The "ring gear side" in the pic is on the left.

backlash.JPG

·
Registered
144 Posts
yep....

I just read my post and then the others and realized that I didn't even answer your question and actually kinda sounded like an a$$ in the process. (not intended) :facepalm:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts