Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re-geared my 2016 JKU to 4.10 and installed Truetracs front and rear two weeks ago, this past Sunday I was driving along the main road in my neighbor hood and when I was by a brick wall along the road I heard a ringing sound at 40 MPH. It does not start until I get to 40 MPH and stops at around 43 MPH. while at 40 MPH if I lift off the gas it stops and when I press on the acceleration pedal it starts again.
Any ideas anybody?

·
Registered
118 Posts
From my past experience a loose pinion nut usually gives you "transition" noise. Meaning when you are neither on the throttle or decelerating it will whine. The most common way to hear it is on the highway when you are cruising lets say at 70MPH. The gears are lightly loaded or are constantly reversing force.

Another way of checking is to accelerate then let off the throttle. If the pinion nut is loose you will hear a whine right after you let off and then it will stop when the gearing starts slowing you down. Usually only last a few seconds.

Having a noise this specific could mean nothing especially since you don't have many miles on the gears. Also any concern-able noise will be obvious even without the wall bouncing it back to you.

Did you do the gears yourself?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a mechanic install the gears and truetrac. I am pretty sure it just started this past week end. the ringing noise is only when I am going a steady 40 MPH, stops at around 43 mph
I will drive it like you said and see if it makes the noise when I de-accelerate.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I had mine regeared five thousand miles ago. Yukon 4:11's. At fifty miles per hour letting off the gas I got a ringing noise. The shop I had it done at told me it might make some new noises till it was broken in good. I was skeptical and worried about it ,but now the noise is gone and all I can hear is the wind with the top off and the duratracs singing their song. It was a longtime Jeep off-road shop, so I had to trust their reputation and skills. They did say it was a perfect build and stood behind their work. I've pulled some overweight loads and my small trailer and all is good.

Reactions: patd4u

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had mine regeared five thousand miles ago. Yukon 4:11's. At fifty miles per hour letting off the gas I got a ringing noise. The shop I had it done at told me it might make some new noises till it was broken in good. I was skeptical and worried about it ,but now the noise is gone and all I can hear is the wind with the top off and the duratracs singing their song. It was a longtime Jeep off-road shop, so I had to trust their reputation and skills. They did say it was a perfect build and stood behind their work. I've pulled some overweight loads and my small trailer and all is good.
That is a relief to hear, I had to drive up to Riverside Ca. for an appointment yesterday and I was on the 215 highway going around 70 imagining all kinds of noises I thought I was hearing. Was expecting to break down at any moment. Nothing happened of course.
I'll just keep an eye (ear) on it and let it break in.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Only the miles will tell.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree, just put some miles on them.

Sorry I went into the pinion nut ordeal for some reason when I read your post I swore you were concerned about it. Maybe you edited it your original post? or I'm going crazy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, just put some miles on them.

Sorry I went into the pinion nut ordeal for some reason when I read your post I swore you were concerned about it. Maybe you edited it your original post? or I'm going crazy.
Your not going crazy.. I did have that in there but edited it out...lol. (Mandella effect?)
I was worried about the pinion nut maybe loosening up but wanted to get some suggestions to maybe what was causing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts