Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've just developed this ringing vibrating sound when my steering wheel is cranked all the way to either side. Only seems to happen when the Jeep is moving.

I've recently rotated the tires and centered the steering wheel (which was sitting at about 10 o'clock if I wanted to go straight). What have I done and how do I fix it?

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
First. Why was the steering wheel off center? Second. Exactly what adjustment did you do to center the Steering wheel?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steering wheel had been off center for at least a year. If memory serves, I had let a shop change the steering stabilizer after they claimed the old one was leaking. I may have noticed the off centeredness sometime after that.

Recentered with these instructions: http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
It is likely in the steering box then and not suspension related. Are there any signs of wear, like leaking fluid, play in the components, etc?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steering feels good, otherwise. Nothing leaking noticeably. Sound and vibration appear to be coming only from the tire I'm turned away from. Only when the wheel is cranked all the way over, and not when I'm stopped. I figured something was rubbing, but it's hard to replicate in the garage.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Are the stops adjusted to keep the front tires from turning into the frame? Taller tires can do this if the stops are not adjusted. But this has just started from the wheel centering?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm only running 30 inches, though the newer KO2s are now on the front and the old KOs (sames size, but appear a little smaller) were moved to the back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts