Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a 4" suspension lift, and HD steering linkages on my 95 rio grande. Now that the jeep is so tall I need some bigger tires, but I'm not sure what to do. I'm not a huge fan of aftermarket wheels, so i wanted to go with either 16" or 17" '06-'08 stock Rubicon wheels with goodyear mud terrain tires cuz i really like the way they look, and it'l make my vehicle look alot newer and nicer since I just had the entire thing painted metallic tangerine. I have a few questions though...

I want the outside diameter of the tires to be 33", but they don't have that measurment listed in the tire size anywhere I look.

I have the 4 cylinder, so - Am I going to be able to turn the wheels? Should I go with smaller tires?

Do I have to change my final drive gears? and if so, what should it be? I have stock axles.

**I don't care about the speedo gear...what is a speed limit anyway?**

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
i had a 4 banger w/ 33" you can find 33" tires usually 12.50 wide. kinda big for stock wheels.

kinda tight w/ 4 inch lift, people do it all the time. but i like to be able to flex a lot. 4 banger will turn them, don't plan on driving over 60 mph.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that the point of changing the final drive gears was so that I wouldn't lose power or speed though...

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
you'd have to go to 4.56 gears to be almost where stock gearing was w/ 33's. this will cost a little over a grand to have a reputable shop do the work, w/ parts. that's definately the way to go.

if you don't regear, you won't see much more than 60 mph downhill with the wind at your back. i'm not sure how it will do after gears, there's plenty of people here that have regeared the 4 banger, maybe they can tell you how it acts on the highway.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
The Rio Grande is an auto, right? It should have 4:11's. You are still gonna struggle turning 33x12.50's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts