Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was going to try to stitch my tear, or use the silicone idea, but was wondering if any body has tried using the flex seal patch?? U think it's a good idea to try?? Thanks for your help! Or ideas. The rip is about 3 inches long over the driver side door..

·
Registered
201 Posts
I got a tear about 4 inches long and 2 inches wide in the direct center of my top at the start of the season, I started looking for a used top on Craigslist but in the mean while I used clear gorilla tape(see link) on both sides of the top, This was back in May, the tape has held up so well I forgot I had the tear and stopped looking for a used top.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E...SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=clear+gorilla+tape

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I repaired a tear in the top on my Triumph sports car with one of those inexpensive vinyl repair kits. I glued a piece of some backing material that came with the kit to the inside of the top, then mixed up and color matched the vinyl repair material and spread it over the top of the tear and used a halogen work light to cure it. It looked good and you'd have to look pretty hard to even notice the repair. I was shocked that it held up for many years, and was still in place when I sold the car.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Shoe Goo inside and out. I got a tear in my top several years ago, cleaned it good and applied several coats of Shoe Goo. Still holding up and it goes thru car washes all the time. It's not aesthetically pleasing but it's not real visible so I don't care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
Cheap top for a little over $200. I listen to the tree branches rubbing on it, scratching on it, knowing that they want to come in. They will come in when they make a hole in my top. I know they will. It is just a matter of time.

Gorilla tape is a good idea. I didn't know they made clear Gorilla tape. I patched a hole in a rain barrel with gorilla tape and it is holding after several months. I have fish in the barrel to eat the mosquitoes.

I have patched motorcycle seats with 3m 5200 adhesive. Tape the edges together and glue on a backer. Lasted for years and saves you from the wet ass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts