Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any problems with a RIPP Supercharger on a 3.8L having high crankcase oil pressure? Motor is a 505 high output. I'm getting blow by thru the oil filler cap.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Anybody have any problems with a RIPP Supercharger on a 3.8L having high crankcase oil pressure? Motor is a 505 high output. I'm getting blow by thru the oil filler cap.
I would leakdown test the motor and see why and where. It could be one real bad cylinder or all off them. A leakdown test will tell you exactly where it is coming from and the rate of leakage along with if it is an acceptable amount or not. All motors have some blow by but the test gives you your concrete evidence.

Also did you tell 505 that you are building a forced induction engine. Ring gap clearances on the piston are different than a non forced induction engine. A larger gap is required. The rings in a forced induction engine will expand more closing the gap completely and damaging the rings, cylinders and the piston ring lands. This causes lots of blow by.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would leakdown test the motor and see why and where. It could be one real bad cylinder or all off them. A leakdown test will tell you exactly where it is coming from and the rate of leakage along with if it is an acceptable amount or not. All motors have some blow by but the test gives you your concrete evidence.

Also did you tell 505 that you are building a forced induction engine. Ring gap clearances on the piston are different than a non forced induction engine. A larger gap is required. The rings in a forced induction engine will expand more closing the gap completely and damaging the rings, cylinders and the piston ring lands. This causes lots of blow by.
Yes, 505 knew I was going to add a RIPP Supercharger to the motor. It's been a ongoing story since June. Blew a head gasket within 9miles of installing the Supercharger. had a .004 in low spot on the head. Have had the setup in to have in dyno tuned and last issue is the blow by. It initially showed up as a blown valve cover gasket. Only got 223 hp at the wheels so next investigation is where the horsepower gains went.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I installed a RIPP on stock 3.8 and no real big issues. Switched to 37's and 5.18 gears. Had one evap emissions code and reset it. It did not come back. The Jeep shut off on me once in traffic. Started right back up. No issues since. Good luck. I double my RWHP to 202 after RIPP. Gonna Dyno again since I changed gears. I believe the 5.18 from 3.73 will give me better numbers because RPMs stay higher allowing more boost in all gears. Will post follow up in my main post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts