Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up three months ago and the head cracked. I plan on keeping her for a very long time so i decided i would have the hole motor rebuilt:happyyes: Plus it will be nice having an unlimited mile, lifetime warranty on the engine:beerdrinking:

It went pretty good until i got to the two bolts at the top of the bell housing:rant: Had to drop the engine and tranny a few inches to get some clearance and then Ended up getting creative and grinned down a socket to fit inside the end of a wrench. Then to get the leverage needed i attached a strap and pulled from the side of the jeep.

Ill drop her off on monday and it will take a week to rebuild her. planning on doing a new water pump, radiator, engine mounts, radiator hoses(current ones are bad), possibly a clutch. Anything else i should replace while i am in?

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thats some cool adapting man! Ratcheting 17 too - good thinking. Do the timing chain while you're at it - they get a bit stretched with time - kits are relatively cheap and the engine will run much happier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Those two top bolts have e-12 (external torx) heads on them. External torx sockets are readily available at sears or napa. We usually get to them by dropping the t-case skid and lowering the transmission some which leaves plenty of room from underneath for a couple of long extensions and a ratchet. May help you next time.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those two top bolts have e-12 (external torx) heads on them. External torx sockets are readily available at sears or napa. We usually get to them by dropping the t-case skid and lowering the transmission some which leaves plenty of room from underneath for a couple of long extensions and a ratchet. May help you next time.
Water Dog, we tried dropping it and using extensions but the extensions allowed to much twisting so i wasn't able to get enough pressure for the bolts to break free... i wish they would have because fit probably would have saved me about an hour:happyyes:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think i might just have to order up one of those wrench-socket-adapters. Looks like a nice tool to have on the shelf for special situations:)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I think i might just have to order up one of those wrench-socket-adapters. Looks like a nice tool to have on the shelf for special situations:)
I use mine fairly often. They come in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch sizes. There is a metric set and an SAE set. KDT-9230 and KDT-9231.

Just to be clear, the metric or SAE applies to the wrench type, NOT the sockets.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use mine fairly often. They come in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch sizes. There is a metric set and an SAE set. KDT-9230 and KDT-9231.

Just to be clear, the metric or SAE applies to the wrench type, NOT the sockets.
Thanks for all the info:Thanx:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts