Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum and will start by stating I'm incredibly impressed with all the info and sharing on here. Your builds are inspiring and I hope to one day be able to return the favor.

I have a 16' JKUHR on order and took advantage of some Black Friday deals while in wait. Ordered Metalcloak fenders and I can see I'll be drilling some holes in my brand new JKU which frankly scares the :censored: out of me.

I want to do this right as I'm crazy about details. Should I buy a rivet nut install tool? If so any recommendations? I don't know if I'll ever use the tool again and therefore I'm not looking to throw a lot of cash at it unless it's absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Better buy some rivets and practice first. Joining two flat pieces of metal together. You might find a You Tube Video on using a Rivet Gun. It would be wise to find one.

·
Registered
825 Posts
One of our Club homegirls loaned me her Marson. Never got to use it as I ordered the Astro Pneumatic. The Marson is clearly better quality, but you'd really need to plan a lot of rivnuting to justify the extra cost. The Astro works just as well and comes fuly supplied with adapters & bags of rivnuts. I'll add that I've used those cheezy "tools" some of the vendors supply with flares & sliders, etc. From my experince you can get them to work but they're an utter pain and the likelihood of a rivnut coming loose & spinning is amplified greatly. Get the tool & be happy!

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
One of our Club homegirls loaned me her Marson. Never got to use it as I ordered the Astro Pneumatic. The Marson is clearly better quality, but you'd really need to plan a lot of rivnuting to justify the extra cost. The Astro works just as well and comes fuly supplied with adapters & bags of rivnuts. I'll add that I've used those cheezy "tools" some of the vendors supply with flares & sliders, etc. From my experince you can get them to work but they're an utter pain and the likelihood of a rivnut coming loose & spinning is amplified greatly. Get the tool & be happy!
X2

First time using a rivet tool myself. Just make sure you set the travel right. You don't want to reset the tool and squeeze more then once.
I did squash a couple rivet nuts before putting them in my jeep :)

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
We call them "NUTSERTS" the Marson tool is a good one but the one from Harbor Freight will work fine. You have figured out if you will need it for later use as to which you buy. Look on the bright side you won't have to go to the gym for a while after you put on those flares...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright I think I'm going with the Marson 325. My best guess is I'll use it more than anticipated as suggested by others. Found some pretty good deals and when it's all said and done it's not that much more than some other brands. Will definitely practice on something other than my JKU.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I should have bought this when I did the Rock Hard Boatside Sliders. I used the nut and bolt tool they supplied. I had no issues but I was waiting for Murphy to show up during the install. Oh well he must have been visiting another Jeeper :happyyes:

·
Registered
783 Posts
I forgot to mention that theres a difference in Rivet Hand Tools. The difference is whether the Rivets are Aluminum or Metal. Metal Rivets require a Heavy Duty Rivet Gun. Also, the shaft size of rivets determines the Fitting you will use on the Gun. Wait till you get your Fenders. I've also attached some info about Rivets

·
Registered
825 Posts
I should have bought this when I did the Rock Hard Boatside Sliders. I used the nut and bolt tool they supplied. I had no issues but I was waiting for Murphy to show up during the install. Oh well he must have been visiting another Jeeper :happyyes:
When using those nut-shaped tools they often give you in the kits I've had best luck using a stainless steel bolt & hardened washer and running them down with my 3/8" impact. practice!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot to mention that theres a difference in Rivet Hand Tools. The difference is whether the Rivets are Aluminum or Metal. Metal Rivets require a Heavy Duty Rivet Gun. Also, the shaft size of rivets determines the Fitting you will use on the Gun. Wait till you get your Fenders. I've also attached some info about Rivets
Thanks for additional info. Before I placed order I called MC and they advised the Marson is a good tool. It also comes with 3/8-16 attachment.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had the one from Grangers and it didn't hold up. The Marsons is a beast.
I put on my Metal Cloak Fenders and I'm getting ready to put on Poison Spider Rocker Protection and Rear Corner Armor.
I needed a tool that will hold up. I am also finding other uses for the Rivnuts so this one is money well spent.
I think it came from Zoro on one of their 30% off deals.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why buy a expensive tool ^ A bunch of us bought the $65 Astro tool and had great results .. also it comes with a bunch of rivet nuts and mandrels both metric and SAE. No brainer imo
I was deciding between the Astro and the Marson. Astro has good reviews as well. Ultimately it came down to two things for me; ease of use and craftsmanship. As Marson weighs 1 1/2 lbs more and we're talking about a steel leverage tool I feel like it's probably of higher quality. The Marson is also quite a bit longer also which will provide me more leverage. A few months ago I crashed my road bike going 35 mph (Ironman training). Tore my rotator cuff and the healing has been slow. I need all the leverage I can get!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had the one from Grangers and it didn't hold up. The Marsons is a beast. I put on my Metal Cloak Fenders and I'm getting ready to put on Poison Spider Rocker Protection and Rear Corner Armor. I needed a tool that will hold up. I am also finding other uses for the Rivnuts so this one is money well spent. I think it came from Zoro on one of their 30% off deals.
Sounds like same deal I got.
Any reason you're going with the poison spider rocker vs metalcloaks? I originally ordered the mc overland rocker but cancelled when they told me they were working on a soon to be released hardline rocker which will blend perfectly with my hardline fenders.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts