Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I have a 2012 wrangler unlimited (Sahara), that I use for daily commute, every now and then camping, and desert/dune bashing. I was looking for a lift kit to support my driving, and to allow me to fit in 35'' tires.

As my pursuit for THE lift kit continues, I have narrowed down my selections to AEV RS, Teraflex, RK Max Travel and EVO Enforcer.

It seems that the reviews are solid for the RK 3.5 max travel on the websites I've been to thus far. What do you gentlemen think of it, and how does it compare to EVO Enforcer for example?

Also, will the 3.5 max travel kit + reservoir shocks (Rock Krawler Catalog) suffice for installation, or do I need to order a few more items with it?

Appreciating all your input!

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
stick with rk 3.5 max travel. or teraflex. nothing else.

yes, those shocks will be good. you don't need them for slow wheeling as the resevoirs are suppose to help with cooling when you run through the desert.

definitely buy 4-6" traveling shocks.

buy/use 3" bumpstops.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,476 Posts
Maybe we can help!

First, let me ask why the 3.5 and not the 2.5? The 2.5 will be more than enough to run 35's and you wont run into the driveline issue you will with the larger 3.5" lift.

The reviews are solid for the RK's. We run the Max Travel on our JK. We are not a huge company so, when we go to events, we drive the JK on the highway and it rides great! We have had it up and down the east coast! There are other nice lifts out there but I think it is hard to beat the RK lifts as a entire on/off road package.

The shocks are great too! They remote res function is nice and RK's beefyness comes into play with their shocks too. They run a aluminum housing with beefy shafts! Tough as nails...

The only other thing you will need (and we can help you out with these) is bump stops, spring retainer clips (dont HAVE to have them but are a nice feature, and the TeraFlex exhaust spacers (since your JK is a 2012).

Let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help! Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime. We would be more than happy to help....

-Jason

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Maybe we can help!

First, let me ask why the 3.5 and not the 2.5? The 2.5 will be more than enough to run 35's and you wont run into the driveline issue you will with the larger 3.5" lift.

The reviews are solid for the RK's. We run the Max Travel on our JK. We are not a huge company so, when we go to events, we drive the JK on the highway and it rides great! We have had it up and down the east coast! There are other nice lifts out there but I think it is hard to beat the RK lifts as a entire on/off road package.

The shocks are great too! They remote res function is nice and RK's beefyness comes into play with their shocks too. They run a aluminum housing with beefy shafts! Tough as nails...

The only other thing you will need (and we can help you out with these) is bump stops, spring retainer clips (dont HAVE to have them but are a nice feature, and the TeraFlex exhaust spacers (since your JK is a 2012).

Let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help! Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime. We would be more than happy to help....

-Jason
Listen to this man. He helped me with my RK lift and I have nothing but positive things to say. Good luck!

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Maybe we can help!

-Jason
I've been looking into the RK 2.5 Max Lift kit, but I can't get a straight answer from ANYONE what additional things I'll need to get, or won't need to get. Everyone has a different answer. Even after starting a thread on this and getting a lot of good answers, I'm STILL confused!

I want to improve the looks of my 2012 Rubicon JKU with a lift and 35s, plus I want everything to operate, just like stock, including the Swaybar Disconnect.

I don't do a lot of offroading but I want to keep the same level of capability and reliability it has now.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,476 Posts
Listen to this man. He helped me with my RK lift and I have nothing but positive things to say. Good luck!
Ditto. I'm another happy KOR customer. He guided me along my RK 2.5 MT lift journey.

Thanks guys, and gal! We could not do what we do if it was not for you guys! So, thank YOU!!!

I've been looking into the RK 2.5 Max Lift kit, but I can't get a straight answer from ANYONE what additional things I'll need to get, or won't need to get. Everyone has a different answer. Even after starting a thread on this and getting a lot of good answers, I'm STILL confused!

I want to improve the looks of my 2012 Rubicon JKU with a lift and 35s, plus I want everything to operate, just like stock, including the Swaybar Disconnect.

I don't do a lot of offroading but I want to keep the same level of capability and reliability it has now.
Did we post in that thread or have you asked us? We do a ton of these lifts and run the 2.5" Max Travel on our JK. We would be more than happy to walk you throught this and get you everything you need to keep your stock ride! Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime.

Oh, and here is our JK with the 2.5" Max Travel and Fox IFP 2.0's:

-Jason

·
Registered
3,003 Posts

I did exactly as Jason recommended and went down the same path as you. He'll guide you right. I purchased the following:
  • RK 2.5" Max Travel Pro
  • Fox IFP 2.0 Shocks (4"-6" lift version)
  • Teraflex exhaust spacer
  • Rock Krawler 2" bump stops (but I'm planning for upcoming fender swap)
  • Front spring retainer clips
  • 2 OEM tie rod ends (to use on the new HD tie rod)
  • Poly Performance steering stabilizer mount and tabs (needed to be welded, only cost $15 to get welded)
And that's it! Seems like a long list but in reality it's a short list to gain such a HUGE gain in performance, a great ride, and quality parts.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Thanks guys, and gal! We could not do what we do if it was not for you guys! So, thank YOU!!!

Did we post in that thread or have you asked us? We do a ton of these lifts and run the 2.5" Max Travel on our JK. We would be more than happy to walk you throught this and get you everything you need to keep your stock ride! Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime.

Oh, and here is our JK with the 2.5" Max Travel and Fox IFP 2.0's:

-Jason
Thanks, Jason. I don't think you guys posted in that particular thread. I was thinking about going with the "basic" kit, or "starter" kit.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Keep it stock. Especially if you do not plan on doing the work yourself. I know you didn't want to hear this, but keep it stock and simple.
This is especially true if you won't be doing the work and/or aren't capable of doing any sort of troubleshooting or repairs on your own. I never would have done my mods if there was the prospect of having to take it to someone to troubleshoot or repair something.

I rest comfortably with my decision knowing I can do repairs and, perhaps more importantly, I have the knowledge of how things work and interact under my Jeep. Honestly, I'm a pretty novice "wrencher" but I figured things out and worked slowly installing mine over the course of 5 days.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
This is especially true if you won't be doing the work and/or aren't capable of doing any sort of troubleshooting or repairs on your own. I never would have done my mods if there was the prospect of having to take it to someone to troubleshoot or repair something.

I rest comfortably with my decision knowing I can do repairs and, perhaps more importantly, I have the knowledge of how things work and interact under my Jeep. Honestly, I'm a pretty novice "wrencher" but I figured things out and worked slowly installing mine over the course of 5 days.
I'm not overly mechanically knowledgeable when it comes to diagnosing suspension issues, especially on a Jeep. I basically just wanted to get something installed and forget about it...just like stock.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Thanks, Jason. I don't think you guys posted in that particular thread. I was thinking about going with the "basic" kit, or "starter" kit.
This is where I was at because I live in the Midwest and there isn't a need for me to have an excessive lift right now. I will more than likely upgrade to the MT at a later date. Here's what KOR helped me get and I can't be happier:

Rock Krawler JK 2.5" Flex System
Fox 2.0 IPF shocks (4-6")
Coil Spring Clips
2" RK bump stops

Since I have the 3.8, I didn't need exhaust spacers.

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
Con,

i hear what youre saying. but, really, i had no idea what i was getting myself into from the get go. and honestly, it was reliable when it was stock, not better quality, but reliable. now it's a different ball game, and i'm all in.

the issue is, there are so many shops that don't know what theyre doing. for example, here in CA near orange county we got about 5-6 specialized jeep shops. i wouldn't trust any of these guys with my rig. more times than not, if you have them do something, say installing a suspension or something you're going to have to end up taking it back to them more then once just to get something fixed when it should have been done right the first time.

wowa run on sentences for the win

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,476 Posts
With all RK's lifts, the install is rather easy. I know the control arms and the adjustablity of them can be overwhelming but RK makes it very easy. They tell you a eye to eye length you need to set them at for your setup. Then, it is simple as pulling the stock one (two bolts) and installing the new one! I REALLY would suggest at LEAST getting the Flex System over the Stock Mod. The Flex adds in the front lower control arms which is what you will need to get that stock ride back. Without that, your castor will be off and it will feel flighty and wonder on the road. The contol arms really dial it in for you.

-Jason

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have the RK 3.5 Max Travel with the Fox Remote Res shocks 4"-6". The ride is very nice whether I am flexing or on higher speed washboard roads. I would look closely at what you want to do with your rig though. You can easily fit 35s on 2.5. I chose the Max Travel because it included all control arms, and high steer. And the only reason I went with 3.5 is because I have an unlimited and wanted a little more belly clearance because I spend a lot of time in the rocks, and to make room for 37s.

Here is 3.5 MT with 315/75/r16 with and without trimmed fenders. You'll see there is a ton of room.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
With all RK's lifts, the install is rather easy. I know the control arms and the adjustablity of them can be overwhelming but RK makes it very easy. They tell you a eye to eye length you need to set them at for your setup. Then, it is simple as pulling the stock one (two bolts) and installing the new one! I REALLY would suggest at LEAST getting the Flex System over the Stock Mod. The Flex adds in the front lower control arms which is what you will need to get that stock ride back. Without that, your castor will be off and it will feel flighty and wonder on the road. The contol arms really dial it in for you.

-Jason
Will my Swaybar Disconnect work in the same as factory fashion?

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,476 Posts
I have the RK 3.5 Max Travel with the Fox Remote Res shocks 4"-6". The ride is very nice whether I am flexing or on higher speed washboard roads. I would look closely at what you want to do with your rig though. You can easily fit 35s on 2.5. I chose the Max Travel because it included all control arms, and high steer. And the only reason I went with 3.5 is because I have an unlimited and wanted a little more belly clearance because I spend a lot of time in the rocks, and to make room for 37s.

Here is 3.5 MT with 315/75/r16 with and without trimmed fenders. You'll see there is a ton of room.
That is where the 2.5 and 3.5 Max Travel lifts differ. The 3.5" comes with the uppers and also the added steering setup.

Will my Swaybar Disconnect work in the same as factory fashion?
That is one thing that really wont work stock after any lift. The stock electric disco is not designed to work with the longer discos. It has a tendency to flip backwards making the new longer links look like a big U! The RK discos are easy enough to use though. You pull a cotter pin and slide it off the bolt. Then, when your done, slide it back on and put the cotter pin back in. Almost as easy as the stock disco.

-Jason

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
pluke the 2 said:
Con,

i hear what youre saying. but, really, i had no idea what i was getting myself into from the get go. and honestly, it was reliable when it was stock, not better quality, but reliable. now it's a different ball game, and i'm all in.

the issue is, there are so many shops that don't know what theyre doing. for example, here in CA near orange county we got about 5-6 specialized jeep shops. i wouldn't trust any of these guys with my rig. more times than not, if you have them do something, say installing a suspension or something you're going to have to end up taking it back to them more then once just to get something fixed when it should have been done right the first time.

wowa run on sentences for the win
Just stopping in to say hi :wavey:

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
That is where the 2.5 and 3.5 Max Travel lifts differ. The 3.5" comes with the uppers and also the added steering setup.

That is one thing that really wont work stock after any lift. The stock electric disco is not designed to work with the longer discos. It has a tendency to flip backwards making the new longer links look like a big U! The RK discos are easy enough to use though. You pull a cotter pin and slide it off the bolt. Then, when your done, slide it back on and put the cotter pin back in. Almost as easy as the stock disco.

-Jason
Seems easy enough. I can deal with a cotter pin.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts