Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to pull the trigger on this kit. I've done my research, but I am new to this. I plan to run 35's as soon as we put the lift on. I was considering the 2.5", but after wheeling several weekends with a local jeep club I know what I need. We have deep water here, and I want to be able to flex with the 35's. I can't find a negative review on this lift. If you've found anything I haven't, please chime in. If you know of anything I'll need in addition to what's included other than the exhaust spacer, please let me know. Thanks, Lee

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Unless you opt for one of the stage 1/2 kits you will have to add shocks and bump stops. Venders like Krawl off road have packages put together with shock options.
Flex is the shocks lengths and bumpstop. Height doesnt increase flex .. You Did not say whether you own a 2 or a 4 door?
2.5/2 door, 3.5/4 door and 35's is most common.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got it on mine. Had it with 35's on stock fenders and now with 37's and PSC's. It has worked just fine for me.
I think that looks great. I'll be buying this kit Monday unless I can find a reason not to. I'm just trying to make an informed decision. I don't want to spend the money to find out why I should've done something else. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you opt for one of the stage 1/2 kits you will have to add shocks and bump stops. Venders like Krawl off road have packages put together with shock options.
Flex is the shocks lengths and bumpstop. Height doesnt increase flex .. You Did not say whether you own a 2 or a 4 door?
2.5/2 door, 3.5/4 door and 35's
JKU, it's a 4 door. For shocks I was looking at the Rancho 9000xl's. I'd love to have the Fox 2.0 with reservoirs, but I could upgrade later if needed. I thought I found the kit at Northridge including several shock options
Rock Krawler JKU 3.5 X Factor System Kit - JK35XF-4KIT, but upon further inspection this is not a bolt on kit. It has a weld on rear axel cradle. I was really just looking for the 3.5" X Factor kit, but thought this was a great price with a few xtra's added in.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I led a Jeep trip a couple of weekends ago and there were a couple of guys in the group with that lift. Both of them had that lift on their four door JKs. One had his wife, two kids and a bunch of camping gear. The other had three adults and some camping stuff as well. Both of them were bottomed out and sitting on their bump stops! Both were 2015 Jeeps and they had to take it real slow on the bumpy stuff. So, if there's an option for heavier duty springs, you might look into it. Also, get a 3.5" lift if that's an option. I was going back and forth over 2.5 vs 3.5 myself. I got talked into 3.5 and have ZERO regrets.

I have a Metalcloak lift. I could not be happier with it. High quality stuff, dual rate springs and it is very flexy. Look at their kits too as they are very comparable to the RK. On that trip I mentioned, I had three people in my Jeep and it was loaded down with camping gear. I had a rack on the back with firewood too and zero issues. I absolutely love my Metalcloak lift. Can't go wrong! I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon, by the way.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Yeah. I sent one of them a message and asked him to give me an update on what he figured out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't let the bracket worry you. most people will prep and bolt up the bracket, then drive to a shop to weld it.
Others here have scrapped RK"s bracket and went with TF"s instead for $100
KOR Rock Krawler JK 3.5" X Factor Package with Shocks (Customizable)
looks like there's a sale on RK kits, usually vender wide so call around.
I think this kit is the same kit I'm looking at from Northridge. I'm probably missing it, but not sure I see anything that needs welding. I believe it's probably a mistake on Northridge's site, but way down in the description it says it includes a "rear independent 3rd link mount, and a weld on rear axle cradle".
Rock Krawler JKU 3.5 X Factor System Kit - JK35XF-4KIT
I can't find those options anywhere for under 3 grand, and I'm not sure I'd want it. I've emailed them, and I'll call Monday for clarification. Their picture doesn't show any of those parts. I usually see those parts in a seperate upgrade kit that costs like $1700.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
I think this kit is the same kit I'm looking at from Northridge. I'm probably missing it, but not sure I see anything that needs welding. I believe it's probably a mistake on Northridge's site, but way down in the description it says it includes a "rear independent 3rd link mount, and a weld on rear axle cradle". Rock Krawler JKU 3.5 X Factor System Kit - JK35XF-4KIT I can't find those options anywhere for under 3 grand, and I'm not sure I'd want it. I've emailed them, and I'll call Monday for clarification. Their picture doesn't show any of those parts. I usually see those parts in a seperate upgrade kit that costs like $1700.
AHHH.... You are looking at the three link option.
The standard five link (8 arms) only requires a small weld on the rear track bar bracket.
The cradle you mentioned is like a truss but it mounts The upper arm (3rd link) to the axle.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AHHH.... You are looking at the three link option.
The standard five link (8 arms) only requires a small weld on the rear track bar bracket.
The cradle you mentioned is like a truss but it mounts The upper arm (3rd link) to the axle.
Yeah, I thought I was looking at what they actually showed in the picture. I think they used the right description, but wrong picture. I want the 3.5 X Factor bolt on option. The link you gave is the right package. Thanks, and if you have any other suggestions for things I'll need to add, I'm all ears. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Yeah, I thought I was looking at what they actually showed in the picture. I think they used the right description, but wrong picture. I want the 3.5 X Factor bolt on option. The link you gave is the right package. Thanks, and if you have any other suggestions for things I'll need to add, I'm all ears. Thanks for the help.
Exhaust spacers but that's about it. Krawl did a good job of putting a package together based on what people like.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Which shock option. Rancho 9000, Bilstein, or Fox? We don't rock crawl much. Offroad includes mud holes and climbing hard packed dirt hills. Pretty slow driving offroad. More concerned with on road handling. I don't like the squishy feeling I have now. I'm used to driving a 4x4 F350. I also don't want to beat up the suspension. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Which shock option. Rancho 9000, Bilstein, or Fox? We don't rock crawl much. Offroad includes mud holes and climbing hard packed dirt hills. Pretty slow driving offroad. More concerned with on road handling. I don't like the squishy feeling I have now. I'm used to driving a 4x4 F350. I also don't want to beat up the suspension. Thanks
All three are viable options. I prefer the 9000s over the 5100's.

·
Premium Member
3,623 Posts
I have the X-Factor 2.5" with 34's which gives me tons of flex. I imagine the 3.5" with 35's will be the same.

As mentioned above you can bolt the bracket on but should get it welded before offroading.

I have the Bilstein shocks, very happy with them both on and off road.

Northridge4x4 has package deals on those kits where you get the shocks, bumpstops and spring clips essentially for free.

You'll definitely need an exhaust spacer and should consider a front driveshaft.

Find a good shop that can adjust the control arms for pinion and caster angles. I ended up having my shop do all the install so the work didn't have to be done twice.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I led a Jeep trip a couple of weekends ago and there were a couple of guys in the group with that lift. Both of them had that lift on their four door JKs. One had his wife, two kids and a bunch of camping gear. The other had three adults and some camping stuff as well. Both of them were bottomed out and sitting on their bump stops! Both were 2015 Jeeps and they had to take it real slow on the bumpy stuff. So, if there's an option for heavier duty springs, you might look into it. Also, get a 3.5" lift if that's an option. I was going back and forth over 2.5 vs 3.5 myself. I got talked into 3.5 and have ZERO regrets.

I have a Metalcloak lift. I could not be happier with it. High quality stuff, dual rate springs and it is very flexy. Look at their kits too as they are very comparable to the RK. On that trip I mentioned, I had three people in my Jeep and it was loaded down with camping gear. I had a rack on the back with firewood too and zero issues. I absolutely love my Metalcloak lift. Can't go wrong! I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon, by the way.

I haven't heard this either I just put 15 50# bags of play sand in my trunk and it sagged a bit lower then the front but nothing serious. If connected in the front I end up on 3 wheels pulling in my driveway and with the sand I'd say I had a good 4-5'' still of up travel. sand was 750# and I can say the body roll was a bit sketchy lol. If you have enough weight behind the wheels I could see it being a pain though.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I'm ready to pull the trigger on this kit. I've done my research, but I am new to this. I plan to run 35's as soon as we put the lift on. I was considering the 2.5", but after wheeling several weekends with a local jeep club I know what I need. We have deep water here, and I want to be able to flex with the 35's. I can't find a negative review on this lift. If you've found anything I haven't, please chime in. If you know of anything I'll need in addition to what's included other than the exhaust spacer, please let me know. Thanks, Lee
Great choice, the RK 3.5 is one of the best lift kits on the market. Not only that but your choosing the amount the right way: Hit a typical trail you will be driving and decide from there.

Two of my family group members have RK lifts (one that exact lift) and it performs excellent offroad. The only change I would make is to upgrade the shocks now. Unless you are picking the 9000XLs because you want to dial down the compression damping you there are much better options like Fox, Bilstein and of course King.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts