Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a shimmy at like 55 mph. I walked through my garage today after pulling the jeep out and found balancing weights. Should I take it back to get balanced at the original shop, or get them road force balanced? I have heard a lot of good things about paying more for the road force. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had (what turned out to be) a tire balance issue. When I posted about it, a lot of people on this forum posted good comments on the road force balance, said it may be the only way to get a good balance.

But when I went to Discount Tire and asked them to do a road force balance they said "Yes, we have the machine to do that, but we don't do it on aggressive tread tires like you have--it doesn't work for those." I have Duratracs, 35".

So I did the normal "high speed" balance and that solved the issue, but I'd be interested in hearing what kind of tires you have and whether your shop will do it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Road force is far better. Fact is, you can balance a square tire, but it would still vibrate on the road. As you may know, it forces a roller against the tire to measure out of roundness issues of the tire and wheel.

I had a problem with weights flying off 2-3 times. Go to home depot, get some all weather aluminum hvac tape. Clean around the weights with brake cleaner, lay the aluminum tape on and press down to seal around the edges.

Those weights ain't going anywhere even in mud or whatever.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had (what turned out to be) a tire balance issue. When I posted about it, a lot of people on this forum posted good comments on the road force balance, said it may be the only way to get a good balance. But when I went to Discount Tire and asked them to do a road force balance they said "Yes, we have the machine to do that, but we don't do it on aggressive tread tires like you have--it doesn't work for those." I have Duratracs, 35". So I did the normal "high speed" balance and that solved the issue, but I'd be interested in hearing what kind of tires you have and whether your shop will do it.
I'll keep you posted. My tires are 33's with an aggressive tread also. Forgot the actual name. I'm going into discount tire first thing in the morning to have them redo it. I'm curious to see if I get the same response. Thanks

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I had (what turned out to be) a tire balance issue. When I posted about it, a lot of people on this forum posted good comments on the road force balance, said it may be the only way to get a good balance.

But when I went to Discount Tire and asked them to do a road force balance they said "Yes, we have the machine to do that, but we don't do it on aggressive tread tires like you have--it doesn't work for those." I have Duratracs, 35".

So I did the normal "high speed" balance and that solved the issue, but I'd be interested in hearing what kind of tires you have and whether your shop will do it.
?????? In other words, they probably didn't have a tech there that knew how to road force balance the tires!!!!!!
When I asked about Road Force balancing, I told them I was running 37's
Goodyear MT/R with internal beadlocks.......Big O in Kingman AZ said no problem! And they had no problem......JEEP drives great!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm at the shop now and they definitely are trying to talk me out of doing the road force balance. I'm surprised. It's money in their pocket. If they don't want to do it then I'm led to believe maybe they don't know how. I don't have any other explanation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm at the shop now and they definitely are trying to talk me out of doing the road force balance. I'm surprised. It's money in their pocket. If they don't want to do it then I'm led to believe maybe they don't know how. I don't have any other explanation.
Well, they did the "normal" balance for me free. If it is free to you too, maybe start with that, and if it does not solve this issue, find another shop to do the road force balance.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That's not right. When I bought my 35" Maxxis Trepador's the shop didn't even ask, they used their Roadforce to balance my tires. The tech said that with larger tires it's the best way to balance them. It wasn't even an upscale as mounting and balancing was included in their quote to me.

My Jeep is vibration free.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I bought a set of GY MT/Rs from Discount Tire. Had the tires balanced twice at the original store, went to a different DT store for the road force as I was still getting high speed vibrations. The road force helped a tiny bit, but as noted above, you can balance a square tire.

Long story shortened... The original DT store ordered in another set of tires, found the out of round culprit, and replaced the tire.

The road force balance is good, but not always the answer. I run 37's.

·
Premium Member
16,866 Posts
Op- You said you have a shimmy (now) but upon viewing your garage floor found weights. Did you have a shimmy before?
Sounds like you just threw some weights. Whatever Balance (if it worked for you before) will in all likelyhood be fine again.
No need to over complicate OR waste $$.

When stubborn problems persist the Hunter 9700 RF Balancer WITH Trained Tech is the answer.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The manager came out after the tech finished to speak with me. He explained that the weights that fell off were from an old balance as they did not match theirs. He then explained that the last tech from his store got lazy and counter balanced the tire. That explains why there was 20 weights on one tire! I was impressed with his honesty and explanation of the problem. So far so good today. Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
16,866 Posts
The manager came out after the tech finished to speak with me. He explained that the weights that fell off were from an old balance as they did not match theirs. He then explained that the last tech from his store got lazy and counter balanced the tire. That explains why there was 20 weights on one tire! I was impressed with his honesty and explanation of the problem. So far so good today. Fingers crossed.
Good. Cool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts