Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, a local shop mounted and road force balanced a new 325-18 B/F Goodrich K/O2 tire on a new Fuel wheel. Having seen NO weights on the wheel, I asked him if he'd actually balanced it. He said yes, but it was only "ten grams out" so he didn't put any weights on. I call BS, knowing that every tire I've ever had road force balanced took weight, big tires usually a lot. Anyhow, since I like to be sure, I took it to another shop to road force balance and the tech struggled for an hour with the one wheel, just to get it balanced on the Hunter machine. So, while it may be balanced, I now have dinosaur turds inside my wheel! A real "pile" of weight! Anyone think this was unavoidable or could the tech have approached this another way to end up with less weight, or, at minimum, not piled up in mountains? These things look like they're asking to fall off.....

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
That is a lot of weight! Never seen that much, ever. If the tires are somewhat new I'd get in touch with the manufacturer, or place of purchase.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Are the weights made for winter? Big difference in the glue! I'd have them mark the wheel/tire then break the wheel down then balance just the rim to see how it balances. Then spin tire 180* and remount/balance it.
Yes. Make sure they mark both the wheel and tire before breakdown so they keep track of the 180 * rotation. If they cant get it right with a bit of weight then take them back. That's nuts and something is not right.

·
Registered
963 Posts
i personally refuse to put more than 4 oz on a wheel (either inside or outside) needless to say you shouldnt stack weights like that to begin with pretty sure the guy balancing had no idea what he was doing.

also those look like 1/4 ounce weights do they not have 1 oz sticky weights? or at least 1/2 oz?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i personally refuse to put more than 4 oz on a wheel (either inside or outside) needless to say you shouldnt stack weights like that to begin with pretty sure the guy balancing had no idea what he was doing.

also those look like 1/4 ounce weights do they not have 1 oz sticky weights? or at least 1/2 oz?
I'm thinking I agree with you, that the tech was totally lost and had no idea how to handle anything not simple. It took the guy almost 2 hours to balance my Yukon wheels/tires and balance ONE 325-18" Jeep wheel/tire. I was waiting. It was painful. Having almost 12 ounces of weight on one wheel is crazy.

·
Registered
943 Posts
That "tech" definitely needs retraining because that wheel should've never had required that many wheel weights or at least not mounted on top of each other like a mountain of weights

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would take it to another shop. There is a technique that the rim can be better balanced if its the rim with some weights spot welded on the inside of the rim. However it very easily could be a manufacture defect in the tire.

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you are worrying about weights coming off you can duct tape over them. We do this at the track to our motorcycle tire weights so they don't come off and hit someone behind you at 150mph.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If this is the best they could do with RF, you have either a defective tire or rim...,
yep, to much weight:

Did mine last week: Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 315/70/17, 58lbs, 35" - RoadForce balance $93 for 5 - Best tire 2.75oz and worst 5oz

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts