Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rock rash on wheels causing slow leak

Hi guys. I had a slow leak in one of my tires, and it turns out the leak is coming from near my rim, where some rock rash from the rocks has damaged my rim. The car place I took it too said the rim is cracked. I don’t know if it is really cracked, or just nicked from the road rash, but either way, I am losing air.

So a couple questions, is this repairable, or do I need to replace my rim? And secondly is this safe to drive, or do I need to address it ASAP?

As always, thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
23,209 Posts
Ditto replace asap.

Reactions: 87_WhyJay

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh. Not what I wanted to hear, especially given the wheel I have is no longer available, and I can't find it anywhere searching the internet.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,209 Posts
I agree with above double check it but if it is cracked replace it. Take some soapy water and spray on the rim and see where the rim is leaking.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picture of where it is leaking air.

They did not take the tire off the rim, hoping to get that done tomorrow

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,209 Posts
that little bit of road rash should not cause a leak. spray soapy water on it and see what happens. if it is leaking at the tire bead then probably just needs a little filing on the rash. If below the bead maybe a crack but you should be able to see a hairline crack.

Reactions: Lemotan

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
+1 use soapy water to detect the leak, it could be sidewall puncture, rim doesn't look so bad to cause a leak.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys, thanks for all the advice. Got some resolution, just wanted to close the loop with alll you guys.

Thanks for the advice to have someone dismount the tire. Took it to a different place that specializes in tires. Problem turned out to be a piece of tree bark got down in the tire / bead, and that was what was causing the leak, not the rock rash that was in that spot.

So they cleaned out the tree bark, ground down the rough edges on my rim to clean that up, and I am back in business!

Sometimes the good guys do win. 👍

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Another one here with debris between the wheel and tire bead. Happened twice. I jack up the tire, deflate to 5lbs or less, then get a small screwdriver to fish it all out. I was surprised to see how much junk can get in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts