Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I want to do a road trip from Central Florida to GA, SC and/or NC using as many unpaved roads as possible. I see videos of people driving on forest roads through various places, but I can't seem to find anything that suggests unpaved or forest roads to take from Point A to Point B.

I know I don't have much in FL, but I'm willing to use the highway whenever necessary in order to get to the forest/unpaved roads. I would like to camp at state parks or other camp grounds along the way.

Has anyone done this before? What route did you take/follow? I see people reference AAA maps, but do they show forest roads?

ANY help pointing in the right direction would be most appreciated. The first trip doesn't even have to be "epic", I just want to get off the tarmac for a while and enjoy the sites and sounds.

I also searched on the forums but really didn't find anything, unless I'm not searching properly.

Thanks in advance!
Joe

·
Registered
227 Posts
A good place to start might be looking up the motor vehicle use maps (MVUM) for the national forests in the states you plan on traveling to/through. This would give a rough idea of which forest roads are open, which ones allow for thru travel vs dead ending, etc.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
That will take a whole lot of planning, especially to go that far. I would do searches for overlanding maps and routes. It's difficult because of natural barriers like rivers and lakes. No matter what direction you take it will eventually be cut by an interstate hwy, usually nowhere near an exit or entrance.

You've got to worry about road conditions like washouts and impassable areas. Availability of water and gasoline could be an impediment.

Also you'll be traveling in areas of limited cell phone reception. Be extremely careful of private property. People often don't take kindly to trespassers.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ROCbass, thanks for the info

marcseatac, I think I should have been a little more clear in my question. Living in FL, I know I will have to drive via highway to the cool stuff, so that will definitely be accounted for as will food, gas stops, etc.

I'm not looking to travel for more than a few days at first, maybe drive to somewhere on day one, play around driving forest roads and unpaved roads camping along the way for day two and possible three then heading home on day four. Again, something short at first, but since there isn't much in Florida other than Ocala, I'd like get up into some of the nice forest trails in the GA, SC, NC area, but not necessarily all in the same trip. I'm cool with going from FL to X and staying in that general area, then Trip 2 planning another location, etc.

Definitely want to stay off of private property, good call.

I'll check on Google again and see what I can come up with, I just thought maybe someone on the forums that lives in these areas could provide some personal experience or details.

Thanks for the replies!

Joe

·
Registered
2,187 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Glad you brought this up. We love an adventure and it doesn't have to include extreme off roads. In the past driving the Ford ranger through logging roads in NC & VA was very exciting and wasn't expected. The wife claims (she my navigator) she wondered what the dotted lines on the map meant. On that day we found out the hard way but it was well worth it.. If you were to ask me where this rough gravel road was now.. I can't say that I remember. But again the only clue I can give you is to follow state maps and look for black dotted lines. Typically, these can mean off road or logging tails.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LLANERO: There have been several people that have completed the Trans-America trail in full size vehicles, I know Land Rover did it and several others, I just don't have that much vacation time lol. Although, I'd love to do it, but I'll have to start small with three and maybe four day weekends.

BarrelBore/RubiLand: thanks for the info, I am looking forward to seeing some trails/maps with some info that may help me be able to plan a decent outing. Definitely looking forward to the pictures too :)

Thanks again everyone!

I am planning on going to the Overland Expo in NC this coming Sept/Oct. I'd like to do something maybe while I'm up that way, but I think my first real adventure will be later in the year. I have a lot of stuff to do and plan before hand.

Thanks again and keep the ideas/info coming!

Joe

·
Registered
490 Posts
Not exactly from FL to GA etc. but this is something you may want to try in the future:

The Trans-Am Trail - TransAmTrail | TransAmTrail

They say it's for motorcycles poor I've heard jeep can run it too.
I know it's a long way off, but in 5 years, I'm heading out on the TAT, both kids will be done with school and I'm not working any more if I can help it, wife and I are going to head out to see the world in the Jeep!

·
Registered
490 Posts
First image is from Jumping Off Rock Overlook, in SC, off of Horse Pasture Rd.

Second image is Google Maps, basically 13 miles from pavement on gravel and trail, nothing too difficult, great ride.

We spent about 3 hours up in this area. You can camp at the red marker at the end, maybe room for 2 campsites. We saw folks packing up when we arrived, It's truly amazing. You should be able to swim there too.

I didn't have time to explore, but there are a bunch of gravel roads out that way, I think Standing Rock Rd. will take you up into NC, but not sure. I'm planning a trip back out this way to explore the area.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts