Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Girlfriend and I am planning a 10 day trip from Oklahoma City. We are going to drive to the Grand Canyon then work our way back. We are leaving late July. What are some things we have to do in Utah and Colorado? Already plan to see Zion, Bryce, Arches and black canyon of gunnison. What else should we see along the way? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
After you see Grand Canyon from the South Rim, make sure to cross the Colorado River at Marble Canyon and see the Grand Canyon from the North Rim. It is a long but gorgeous drive.

You will then be within ear shot of the canyon parks in Utah.

We enjoyed Canyonlands National Park as well, and don't forget to do the scenic drive on State Route 128 along the Colorado into Moab: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_State_Route_128

Aldo

Along Utah State Route 128 Scenic Byway

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would hit the alpine loop in the Ouray area if you can. Imogene Pass, Engineer Pass, Ophir Pass, and Black Bear if you are so inclined.

Take Ophir from 550 to Telluride and return via Imogene.

The area is awesome and the snow should be mostly gone by then.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I did all of those in 2011. May I suggest picking up this book and doing a little exploring on your own. I went through and marked the interesting or highly rated trails and then just took a few days to explore some ghost towns, some old washed out river basins, some abandoned mining towns - it was really amazing. I can't say enough about the book as it gives you the most detailed information I've come across.

I came down the opposite way, coming from the east, I hit Rocky Mountain NP for a day, Arches for two days, Zion NP for two (Angels Landing and the Narrows are must dos), Bryce NP only took me a half day but it's something to see. Spent two days at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (hiked down and back up) then spent 2 days exploring.

Adding to what was said above, I would also suggest driving to Alston Point. It's the overlook for Lake Powell. There's a BLM office not to farm from the Alston Point trail and they're real friendly and can give you maps of all of their BLM trails and lands.

Check out Monument Valley and Mesa Verde National Park too if you've never been there.

I took my WK in 2011 and I do a cross country trip every five years so I'm gearing my JK now for the 2016 trip which will hit Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons area. You're going to have a great time, as I loved the area so much I am still seriously contemplating moving there.

Here's camping in Arches:

Here's the North Kibab Trail at the north rim of the Grand Canyon:

Here's Angel's Landing, looking down into Zion:

Here's Mesa Verde's Cliff Palace:

Here's Alston Point trail and Lake Powell:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, arkaden. I was contemplating Mesa Verde, how long did it take you to see it?
I camped overnight and did the whole place in a day. It's a very underrated NP. There are hiking trails but the cliff dwellings are guided tours only, one of them, the cliff palace is first come first serve sign up. Camp ground has very nice amenities.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Consider visiting:
1. Canyonlands... make sure to take the Shafer Trail as the switchbacks at the exit are awesome. The multitude of trails in Canyonlands could eat up 3 or 4 days easily
2. When you work north from Bryce, at town of Boulder, UT, take the paved portion of the Burr Trail.
3. Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point and Arches are next to each other and are all worth it.
4. If you go south of Canyonlands toward Mesa Verde/Cortez, CO, make sure to take a brief detour in SE Utah to see Moki Dugway and Goosenecks State Park....
5. From Cortez, go to Durango & up Hwy 550 to Quray, CO. Beautiful drive.

·
Registered
280 Posts
This may be a little too far out of the way but have you considered Yellowstone? It is a bit far from where you will be but it is a very nice place.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm currently planning a journey out to the Grand Canyon. Any specific spots I should check out that are cool for jeeps? Possibly off roading spots too?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts