Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats going on everyone.

I'm making a road trip to Austin Texas with my woman from Long Island New York in a stock jeep. I haven't had the opportunity to get a lot of what I want done to my 2016 jku like a 2.5" lift, 35" tires, bumper, etc but the lack of all those things will actually help my mileage on this trip. I do have off road lights and have been on some light trails and beach so far and I can't imagine not having a Jeep. I'm leaving my soft top on so I can pull it down when going through towns and to enjoy the weather.

I'm pretty excited for this trip to see most states that I have not been to yet with my girl and experiencing it in the Jeep. I know gas is going to be a lot more than an gas friendly car but what's the fun in that?? Besides gas prices have been going down and my state has one of the more expensive gas prices in the country so it'll only get better throughout the trip.

It's about 2,000 miles each way. We're taking a southern route on the way to Austin passing through New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Caroline, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana then arriving in Texas. On the way back to New York we are going through some of the same states but going a bit more north through Tennessee and Kentucky.

Any tips as to what to pack if they have done similar trips/long cross country trips?
Any trails in your states that I could stop and go through in a stock jeep?
Places in your states you recommend to eat at/sites?

·
Premium Member
16,866 Posts
Decent cooler for snacks and cold drinks.
A kit and air for fixing flats.
First aid kit.
Good for flashlights and battery.
Car phone charger.
Blanket for "picnics"
NO Weapons.
Emergency cash in case machines are out of order.
Have Fun!
As for gas - who cares.
Won't be on your list of worries when you have your last day on earth.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Decent cooler for snacks and cold drinks.
A kit and air for fixing flats.
First aid kit.
Good for flashlights and battery.
Car phone charger.
Blanket for "picnics"
NO Weapons.
Emergency cash in case machines are out of order.
Have Fun!
As for gas - who cares.
Won't be on your list of worries when you have your last day on earth.
Sounds like a pretty good list. I did a Jeep road trip last year, you'll have more fun than you think.

In Atlanta "The Varsity" is a standard tourist Must Eat spot. Though I'd recommend Fatt Matt's Rib Shack if I was passing through.

The Varsity is a Hot Dog shop that has been around forever. Fatt Matt's is great barbecue and live Blues nightly.

·
Premium Member
2012 JKU Rubi
514 Posts
If you get the chance to cruise through North Georgia, like CJ stated, Blue Ridge Pkwy and, if you can, make a stop at Brasstown Bald. Southeast of ATL, make a loop around Stone Mountain. If, while in Austin you have the time, visit New Braunfels or make the loop drive around Lake Travis. While a bit out of the way, Fredericksburg, just north of San Antonio is nice. These are a few of the spots that will shatter your perception of Texas as a Tumbleweed state.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
When are you going ?
The weather has gone from 106 degrees hot and dry to 80 degrees rainy and muggy in the DFW area - so pack everything :)
IMHO, the long road trip in a Jeep is very tiring, noisy, and the lil engine is at it's peak at highway speeds and downshifts when it smells an overpass! but I like my creature comforts now days so that's just my humble opinon :)

air your tires up for best mpg !

None of the trails here in Texas will be as pretty as the southeast - now Colorado - that's a different story !

·
Premium Member
16,866 Posts
I LOVE roadtrips in my Jeep. Last October went from Pa up to New Hampshire and Vermont and then down to Bethany Beach De. and back to Pa.
Beautiful !!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sounds like a great trip Hobbs. What is your timeline? I ask because the weather only gets better for the rest of the year here in Austin. October has been a little rainy that last few years, but it's tough to predict that schedule.
Generally, October is great top down weather.
Not sure how long you plan to stay in the Austin area, but there are a lot of great small towns around Austin worth seeing, in addition to all that Austin has to offer.
Fredericksburg, downtown Bastrop, Smithville, etc. You can road trip on the backroads to some cool spots if you are into seeing the old towns.

Also, I would suggest taking some time to plan your food stops here in and around Austin. You can eat yourself silly in the Austin area and never get to all the places worth trying.
A few suggestions:
1. Via313 Pizza
2. BBQ in Lockhart (Black's is my favorite)
3. Torchy's Tacos
4. Holla Mode (Thai Style Ice Cream)
5. Food truck park on Barton Springs Road. (Food trucks are outstanding here).
There are too many outstanding places to list. It is worth a search online to pick a few.

My only other recommendation would be a front bumper to keep the Deer off your hood.

Travel safe. If you have any trouble around Austin there are a lot of great Jeepers that I am sure would be willing to help you out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like a great trip Hobbs. What is your timeline? I ask because the weather only gets better for the rest of the year here in Austin. October has been a little rainy that last few years, but it's tough to predict that schedule.
Generally, October is great top down weather.
Not sure how long you plan to stay in the Austin area, but there are a lot of great small towns around Austin worth seeing, in addition to all that Austin has to offer.
Fredericksburg, downtown Bastrop, Smithville, etc. You can road trip on the backroads to some cool spots if you are into seeing the old towns.

Also, I would suggest taking some time to plan your food stops here in and around Austin. You can eat yourself silly in the Austin area and never get to all the places worth trying.
A few suggestions:
1. Via313 Pizza
2. BBQ in Lockhart (Black's is my favorite)
3. Torchy's Tacos
4. Holla Mode (Thai Style Ice Cream)
5. Food truck park on Barton Springs Road. (Food trucks are outstanding here).
There are too many outstanding places to list. It is worth a search online to pick a few.

My only other recommendation would be a front bumper to keep the Deer off your hood.

Travel safe. If you have any trouble around Austin there are a lot of great Jeepers that I am sure would be willing to help you out.
Thanks man. I'll be traveling from Thursday Sept.1 through the 3rd to get to Austin and staying until Wednesday Sept. 7th. Heading back to NY on the 8-10th. I started to look at food spots at some of the states we're passing through .. my buddy in Austin plans to show us around but he recently moved there so keep the suggestions coming fellas.

As far as scenery I'm always down to stop at old/small towns and to talk to people and check out the food, homes, buildings and get a feel for the place. We don't necessarily have the best reputation for being so welcoming and kind in NY (especially the city). I like to get a feel for people all over the US.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have a pretty long list of stuff I'm bringing so I'm ready for just about anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you go to Hidden Falls (just west of Austin) you'll learn what the Jeep is for. :)
Hopefully your taking Skyline Drive/ Blue Ridge Pkwy down in lieu of I81.
If you get the chance to cruise through North Georgia, like CJ stated, Blue Ridge Pkwy and, if you can, make a stop at Brasstown Bald. Southeast of ATL, make a loop around Stone Mountain. If, while in Austin you have the time, visit New Braunfels or make the loop drive around Lake Travis. While a bit out of the way, Fredericksburg, just north of San Antonio is nice. These are a few of the spots that will shatter your perception of Texas as a Tumbleweed state.
Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to hit up Skyline Drive on the way down and Hidden Falls when I get to Austin.

Will do Keiff, I'm trying to do as much as possible while in Texas. I'm not one to lounge around while on vacation but instead like to cover as much ground as possible!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.