Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m driving from Chicago to Buffalo to Boston after the 4th. I have searched some other threads. I have a spare/flashlight/tools/zip ties. I will get an oil change.

What else do you guys recommend, especially with the all of the Coronavirus stuff? Just want to be prepared. Any cool trails or restaurants along the way?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I drove from Philadelphia to Orlando and back 3 weeks ago.
Traffic was light.

look at local news to see if restaurants are open or take out only.
Otherwise, I think you will be OK

Reactions: cfdumon

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Bring some extra masks in case you lose yours along the way.

Reactions: USStrongman

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I use a simple mask to go to the bathroom and ethyl alcohol in small spray bottle.
As for the jeep I wouldnt do an oil change right before the trip, unless its overdue. I would do it after the trip.
I dont take any extra tools with me.
If it breaks i doubt there will be something I can fix on the side of the road.

·
Registered
507 Posts
i did a number of road trips, largest was NC to AZ. Couple things I did....safe under the front seat for registration, firearm(s), locking lug key, etc. Locking lug on spare, locking hood latches, locking door bolt (1 per door). It was all just about some jughead stealing shit while on the road at hotels, etc. Beyond that, keep an eye on your gas, do not run it low, you never know what restrictions and hours will be in the states you drive through. KNOW the quarantine status of the states you are going through. Wear a mask in every state you go. It makes it safer. If you are driving near major cities, have an idea what the protest status is there and keep your head up and eyes open for crowds. You do not want to end up in the middle of a protest in a soft top.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just did a road trip from TX to CT in my JK last week.

Wear your mask everywhere you get out of the Jeep, and be prepared to only go through the drive-thru for meals. Hotels were mostly empty, so super cheap rooms right now, but no restaurants at the hotels were open.

Super light traffic compared to any other road trip I've done. Waze is so reliable for real time traffic I wouldn't worry about protesters blocking the road because Waze would most likely reroute you before. Unless, of course, that protest just instantly popped up right as you were passing. If that's the case I don't think it's something you could have planned for beforehand.

As for wheeling on some trails during the trip.. Meh. I wouldn't. If the trail is worth pulling over during your road trip it's also probably risky that you'd need help or a tow and that would be a huge pain with all the covid restrictions and who can come help, can you get a ride if something is broken, etc.

Enjoy your drive. And the the scenery. I always do.

·
Registered
869 Posts
One item people tend to overlook is having a suitable approved fire extinguisher on board. Only takes one time to need and not have during an emergency. Friend of mine watched his late model truck burn to the ground on a trip because he didn't have one. He said later if he had one he could put out a small engine compartment fire before it consumed his vehicle. Almost everyone carries insurance on their vehicle so I think of an on board extinguisher as an extention of my insurance policy.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,952 Posts
Locking lugs nuts and on the spare. Easy target.

Get yourself a neck gaiter to use as a mask. $10-20 on Amazon. There are a couple of Cooling styles for the summer. Much easier than using a behind the ear disposable mask.

(PSA - temporary masks are just that; one time use only to be effective. Somehow the powers that be have not disseminated that information).

For eats in Buffalo, stop at the Anchor Bar, the original Chicken Wing bar and the originator of Wing Sauce. Its worth the stop. East Aurora is 20 mins SE of downtown and an amazing turn of the century artisan community. I lived there for two years. Loved it every day.

Drive into downtown Buffalo simply for the architecture. Uber bitchin gothic churches everywhere. Go to the southern waterfront to see what Ford, GMC et al did to the landscape. Its depressing but worth a look historically.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Locking lugs nuts and on the spare. Easy target.

Get yourself a neck gaiter to use as a mask. $10-20 on Amazon. There are a couple of Cooling styles for the summer. Much easier than using a behind the ear disposable mask.

(PSA - temporary masks are just that; one time use only to be effective. Somehow the powers that be have not disseminated that information).

For eats in Buffalo, stop at the Anchor Bar, the original Chicken Wing bar and the originator of Wing Sauce. Its worth the stop. East Aurora is 20 mins SE of downtown and an amazing turn of the century artisan community. I lived there for two years. Loved it every day.

Drive into downtown Buffalo simply for the architecture. Uber bitchin gothic churches everywhere. Go to the southern waterfront to see what Ford, GMC et al did to the landscape. Its depressing but worth a look historically.
Been looking forward to Anchor Bar for weeks! Thanks for the recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts