Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Ohio, have State Farm, and cracked my '12 windshield about a two months ago. It likely wasn't repairable, it was 3". I watch it's progress (I am a patient man) and it's made a nice " L" about 8" in length.
My comprehensive was $500 (Which I lowered to $100), but SF knows about the crack and I told them I'll only call them when I get a second crack that requires replacement. Havng put 11K miles on my '12 since August, I hear smacks against the glass about every other week.

Has anyone actually installed a PolyShield windshield on their Jeep? I have a feeling it should last lifetime(?), but might not be or stay as clear as glass. Also curious as to how it handles an ice scraper in the winter. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
aftermarket windshield

There are a # of testimonials online – some good, some bad – regarding the RGP. Most of em, oddly, come from Suzuki owners, and are fairly old. Pretty sure that's the market the windshields were originally designed for.

You'll find some info in Jeep blogs (through Google), but it's pretty sparse.

Jeep windshields are missile magnets. :)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah targets, I had a HMMWV for 16 years, at least they had a left and right side and were about $40, and easy to replace yourself (reusuabe gasket). Jeep windshield doesn't look as easy to do or as inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
In one of the windshield threads a guy said he was on his fifth windshield...

Wish I could find some more definitive info on the Polyshield setup. I know it's been through a couple of permutations, and Roadless Gear claims it's latest version is almost as scratch resistant as glass, and virtually unbreakable.

However, on their site it also says, "...will withstand the use of wipers."

Which concerns me. :D

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
kbwwolf said:
In one of the windshield threads a guy said he was on his fifth windshield...

Wish I could find some more definitive info on the Polyshield setup. I know it's been through a couple of permutations, and Roadless Gear claims it's latest version is almost as scratch resistant as glass, and virtually unbreakable.

However, on their site it also says, "...will withstand the use of wipers."

Which concerns me. :D
:wavey: well between 3 jeeps :)

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Expecting my first any day now, I guess...:nonono:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
For $200 I wouldn't expect it to have a high quality, titanium web sheet coating. In other words, it's a spray on HMR/AR coating that will wear through eventually. Use of wipers will cause it to have sweeping streaks. The appearance of it being sand blasted will happen much quicker. It may be within .3% the hardness of glass, but only after initial application. It's still a spray on coating and not a thin film.

I've been through numerous polycarbonate windshields with all types of coatings in my 240sx. Came to the conclusion that none of those coatings were worth a damn for the long term. Once the coating is scratched/dinged/nicked there's no getting rid of the blemish. An uncoated windshield offered me the best performance since it was easy to polish with plast-x and a wool bonnet. Doesn't look perfect, but I'm racing it not DD'ing it.

YMMV. If anyone buys on I'd like to hear about the quality and durability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts