Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a roadtrip from Seattle to yellowstone (roundtrip) Mid May'15, and wanted to create this thread for suggestions,recommendations etc., from forum members to a newbie (me me me .. )

Here it goes:
Packed enough camping gear (tent, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, tarps, Handheld Hiking GPS, stove, fresh and dried food to last 5 days) to help me camp around the various camping grounds in/around yellowstone. We are a group of 3, and planning to drive 4 hours per person so we can complete the drive in one day .. like start early hours and reach around sundown the same day!

20th and 21st - Camp at Madison
22nd - Camp at Bridge bay
23rd - Camp at Mamoth
24th - Camp at Bridge Bay (again)
25th - back to Seattle
I will be hiking around various small trails around these respective campgrounds. On the 22nd or 23rd, I plan to go down to tetons and do the full loop drive around it. and on the 24th, do the beartooth pass drive as well.

Equipment wise, I have with me a full first aid kit, tire repair kit, and the jeep wrench/socket set that helps remove the hardtop/doors.

I have a stock JKU, with the smittybuilt side rails. my odo is currently at 1300 miles. Was planning on the doing a full tire rotation the weekend before my trip. Looks like no oil change necessary until 10k (as per other threads i have read around here) . Is there any other maintenance i need to do at this point before i make this 750 mile journey ?

Any tips on gear, places, road trip advice, anything at this point is greatly appreciated :worthy:.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Sounds awesome, I am jealous that you can get there so fast! It is a 23 hour drive for me.

I changed my oil at 500 miles the first time but I am not sure that is necessary. My first change was free.

As far as gear, if you're hiking in Yellowstone, pick up some bear spray. They're going to be out and about this time of year and a griz is no joke. Better safe than sorry. Also consider stuff to hang your food in. I have a surplus Army ruck sack I bought at an army supply store for about $10. I tie some rope to it and hang the stuff as far from the tents as your area will permit. Remember to not keep any food or drink in your tents at night.

Sounds like you have a decent amount of kit for the drive, you might pick up a Masterflow Tsunami MF1050 air compressor at Pepboys. I use it and it is an amazing pump for $60. Tire patch kit won't help if you can't re-inflate your tires.

Go have fun!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep have the bear spray cans too. 1 for each of us. looking into the air compressor.

okstatejk, are you suggesting i get an oil change done ? i mean all the thread search results return a min of 5000 before the first oil change, and i dont think i'd hit that during this trip..

regarding the ruck sack, i have duffel bag that i plan to use to tie up the dry food. however, i was plannning on taking a ice cooler box to store some cold cuts and boiled eggs.. and was hoping to leave this cooler in the car, during the nights .. is that a bad idea ?

·
Registered
791 Posts
@kartadmin - have fun. Im going to be making a similar drive from Phoenix sometime in the near future (probably fall 15 or late spring 16). Im wanting to hit Yellowstone, Seattle, then south down the PCH. I know lots of driving, but hey, thats one reason I moved out west, I wore the southeast out. Keep us posted how your trip goes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
yep have the bear spray cans too. 1 for each of us. looking into the air compressor.

okstatejk, are you suggesting i get an oil change done ? i mean all the thread search results return a min of 5000 before the first oil change, and i dont think i'd hit that during this trip..

regarding the ruck sack, i have duffel bag that i plan to use to tie up the dry food. however, i was plannning on taking a ice cooler box to store some cold cuts and boiled eggs.. and was hoping to leave this cooler in the car, during the nights .. is that a bad idea ?
Bad idea to leave any food in your jeep with bears around.

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts

Bad idea to leave any food in your jeep with bears around.
never ever leave food in a vehicle unless you want it to look like an open can of sardines. I live 4 hours from Yellowstone and me personally I would go somewhere cooler than YS.....like Moab.

I would not bother rotating tires but I would change the oil.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For sure. Will use this thread to post pics of my Silver Surfer in yellowstone!
At the end of the trip, will write my review of the trip and the stuff done. This is my second time EVER to do a road trip, longer than 10 hours. so yeh, excited is the least i could say!
@kartadmin - have fun. Im going to be making a similar drive from Phoenix sometime in the near future (probably fall 15 or late spring 16). Im wanting to hit Yellowstone, Seattle, then south down the PCH. I know lots of driving, but hey, thats one reason I moved out west, I wore the southeast out. Keep us posted how your trip goes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
change oil before trip ? i just hit 1300 miles ! is it because of the upcoming long drive or is it because thats how often we should change oil on the jku ?
I would not bother rotating tires but I would change the oil.

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
change oil before trip ? i just hit 1300 miles ! is it because of the upcoming long drive or is it because thats how often we should change oil on the jku ?
I always change early on a brand new rig and then stretch it out to 5000 miles. Quality oil and a mopar filter is going to cost you ~$40 pretty cheap and makes you feel warm and fuzzy.
this was last fall. You will see way more of these then bears and far more dangerous too.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I always change early on a brand new rig and then stretch it out to 5000 miles. Quality oil and a mopar filter is going to cost you ~$40 pretty cheap and makes you feel warm and fuzzy.
this was last fall. You will see way more of these then bears and far more dangerous too.

I did the same thing, I don't think you "have to", I've always just heard that after the break in period where there is metal on metal (engine, gears, ect) that it doesn't hurt to change the oil. OP, most people probably don't do this and their vehicles are just fine. It was peace of mind for me, not required.

I do change mine every 5000 miles or before a long road trip. Will not be to the change interval before I leave for a 12 hour drive to Colorado over memorial day weekend but I'm gunna change it before anyway.

And as was covered above, definitely don't leave any food in the jeep unless you want a story to go along with all the damage on your jeep :).

Have fun!

·
Registered
791 Posts
For sure. Will use this thread to post pics of my Silver Surfer in yellowstone!
At the end of the trip, will write my review of the trip and the stuff done. This is my second time EVER to do a road trip, longer than 10 hours. so yeh, excited is the least i could say!
Love those kind of road trips!!! I actually prefer them to flying somewhere (unless Im going to the beach then Im all about flying). Silver Surfer, love the name. Have fun! Im envious (only until I make my trip).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you. All the forum members who have done these road trips and posted them here were partly responsible in my decision to drive down there..
This old thread has so much information, hopefully people who are looking for this type of information can sneak peak in here as well
Love those kind of road trips!!! I actually prefer them to flying somewhere (unless Im going to the beach then Im all about flying). Silver Surfer, love the name. Have fun! Im envious (only until I make my trip).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live and work at Old Faithful. there is a lot of road construction this time of here. For example, to get to the Lake Area (fishing bridge etc) you have to drive the long way, Madison, Norris junction, canyon, lake.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I live and work at Old Faithful. there is a lot of road construction this time of here. For example, to get to the Lake Area (fishing bridge etc) you have to drive the long way, Madison, Norris junction, canyon, lake.
Nothing constructive to add except asking if you need an assistant?! Wow, that is awesome.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep i did realize that .. been following this nps page for status on the roads avail to use . Hopefully on the last day of the trip, when that road does open, i i intend to try that route.

PM me you info, I will definitely stop by for a Jeep wave ! :iamhappy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nothing constructive to add except asking if you need an assistant?! Wow, that is awesome.
I thought what I said was constructive, if you are not here and not following NPS road construction it's very useful information. What would you like me to add?

Just trying to be helpful, we get so many people who don't know things like that, and are shocked when they find out that their 30 minute drive has now become 2+ hours.

Sorry if I offended you somehow.

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
I thought what I said was constructive, if you are not here and not following NPS road construction it's very useful information. What would you like me to add?

Just trying to be helpful, we get so many people who don't know things like that, and are shocked when they find out that their 30 minute drive has now become 2+ hours.

Sorry if I offended you somehow.
You totally missed his point lol. He wants to live in the park. Least that is how I took his comment.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If this is your first JK you might consider bringing a small inflatable lumbar pillow for driving.
REI has a Seal line kayaking back cushion that make a world of difference on long hauls.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts