Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm told the Rock Hard Roll Cage needs to be media blasted, primed, and painted when I receive it.

Did you do it yourself or did you take it somewhere? If you had someone else do it, what was your cost?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm told the Rock Hard Roll Cage needs to be media blasted, primed, and painted when I receive it.

Did you do it yourself or did you take it somewhere? If you had someone else do it, what was your cost?

Thanks in advance!
Wiped it down with laquer thinner, shot it with Rustoleum spray bomb self etching primer and gloss black. Good enough for what it is, most of it will be wrapped in padding anyway. Cost me a few hours of my time and about $25 at Home Depot.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had mine blasted and powder coated, cost about $400.
But it looks like you had the entire cage done, right? I'm just asking about the bolt-on components of the Rock Hard cage. I'm assuming that means it would be less than $400.

·
Registered
195 Posts
But it looks like you had the entire cage done, right? I'm just asking about the bolt-on components of the Rock Hard cage. I'm assuming that means it would be less than $400.
Same amount of tubing, gonna be a similar price. Some people want thiers to look real nice, some (like me) don't really give a darn. You have to decide what you want, show piece, or rattle can. All in all, mine looks fine, and as I said most of it is wrapped in padding anyway. Out here is AZ, rust is of no concern.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same amount of tubing, gonna be a similar price.
The add-on components aren't the "same amount of tubing" as the entire roll cage posted above. Did you look at the link I provided?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lol.

Back on track, JB. Similar tubing, similar price. Two options, high price and nice finish, or cheapy rattle can and acceptable finish. Your choice. If you plan to wrap it in padding, why spend the money on a premium finish when that cash could easily go somewhere else? Like the padding. Or a nice steak. Just so you are aware, powder coat is substantially thicker than paint, those end collars fit the factory tubing pretty nice as is, pc may cause issues. While you're looking at this bolt in monstrosity, look at Poison Spider, they've got a nice upgrade bar that goes from the hoop to the windshield frame.

·
Registered
195 Posts
And also, once it's installed this beast is rock solid, I mean Rock Hard. It's a bit of a bytch to install though, plan a full day.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I powder coated mine to get the look I wanted and I painted my dads cage. Either way, the pieces need some prep with a 4 in grinder to smooth out the sharp edges and remove the minor weld splatter. I'd also highly recommend chasing the threads with the provided tap.

Powder coating was $425 for everything and the paint was about $100. Plan on a full day for the install.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I powder coated mine to get the look I wanted and I painted my dads cage.
How did you remove the coating they use to protect the metal during shipping?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Red Scotchbrite and lacquer thinner also works well, plus scratches the metal up a bit, breaks the skin, so that self etching primer gets a better bite. The secret to a good result, even rattle can, is prep and prime. In fact, with proper prep and prime, rattle can gives surprising good results.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
wiped down with laquer thinner and primed and painted gloss black. I am happy...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wiped down with laquer thinner and primed and painted gloss black. I am happy...
How long ago did you do it? Any pitfalls or gotchas?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
2 years still strong and no real pitfalls just follow the instructions and don't skip steps

1 - 20 of 28 Posts