Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help me figure out which Rock Krawler 2.5" kit to go with? I do not know if I need the mid arm or long arm option. I'm assuming the mid arm is what I need. But there are 4 different mid arm options...
This is going on my DD and I plan on taking it on mostly trail runs on the weekends- no extreme rock crawling. I don't to buy the cheapest one assuming that it will be fine for my needs... I've been looking at the Max Travel kit. Is this kit suitable for DD and weekend trail riding? Or is the Flex System better for my needs? Here is the link to the website JKU 2.5" Mid Arm Systems

I plan on buying Fox shocks to go with this lift. I haven't decided which ones in particular yet. I do want ones with the separate reservoir. Advise on shocks would be helpful as well.

Based off of other threads that I have read, I know this is "better" off road lift and there are other brands that will give more of a "stock" ride. I do not want a "stock" ride feel, which is why I've decided on this brand.

As stated in other threads, this is my first Jeep and I am very new to lift kits, shocks, and all of the other mods.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
You do not need long arm. What size tire will you run? My son has Max Travel on a 4 door and likes it. I have X Factor on my 2 door. I use Rancho 7000 shocks.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm torn between 33s and 35s. I drive FAR daily for work. But I really like the look of the 35s over the 33s on the 4 door.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
If you have a far commute you will not like 35s. And keep gearing in mind. Do you have 3.21 or 3.73 (or a 4.10 Rubicon)?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should be 3.73. It's a 2010 sport auto. I bought it used but I don't think the previous owners changed anything.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Not all Sports have 3.73, did you check your VIN to be sure? That is a perfect match for 33s. You would lose a lot of power on 35s unless you regear.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
There are in between tires that might make sense for you as well. The 285/70-17 taller than a 33 but an inch narrower which makes it more road friendly. The 285/75-17 is virtually the same height as 35's and again a bit more road friendly.

The 305/70-17 is plenty beefy and right in the middle of 33's and 35's.

But, if you have 3.21's you should stick to 33's...

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I forgot to comment on River City Offroad and Northridge 4x4 both offer custom RK kits. You might want to check out their offerings.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
exactly...use our vendors and make sure they have it in stock, or you'll have to go through RK. I purchased my 2.5 max travel combo from northridge4x4, and was told that there's a 15 day lead time. I also called RK the other day and they told me that it should ship next week.

Pressurized is correct about the tires. i'm leaning towards the 285/75/17 toyo at2 since I had great experience with their 285/70/17.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll have to check out the paperwork at home to verify the gearing. Maybe I will go with an in between tire.

Does anyone have recommendations about the Fox shocks?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I'll have to check out the paperwork at home to verify the gearing. Maybe I will go with an in between tire. Does anyone have recommendations about the Fox shocks?
I hear fox are stiffer than bilstein's which are stiffer than rancho's if I remember correctly. Whatever lift make sure it's designed for the jeep you have. In other words, a 2 door lift for a 2 door. It'll give you a better ride. Duratrac's have worked very well for me but they are a tad wider than some and can track a bit more but at the right psi they are smooth and quiet with good wet road traction.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2.5" mid arm Rock Krawler lift and I am sitting on 35s with 3.73 gears. I get around 310 miles per tank with a mixture of city and highway driving. The acceleration did take a hit, but nothing too bad. I am planning on getting a programmer to adjust the tire size as my next upgrade. I may eventually upgrade gears to 4.56's.

As it sits right now, it is pretty decent to drive (when I do my 50 mile commute to work).

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
I have a 2.5" mid arm Rock Krawler lift and I am sitting on 35s with 3.73 gears. I get around 310 miles per tank with a mixture of city and highway driving. The acceleration did take a hit, but nothing too bad. I am planning on getting a programmer to adjust the tire size as my next upgrade. I may eventually upgrade gears to 4.56's.

As it sits right now, it is pretty decent to drive (when I do my 50 mile commute to work).
is that hand calculated since you didn't have a module to adjust your tire size? auto/stick?

·
Registered
272 Posts
i went with the 2.5 flex and the Fox 2.0 ifp shocks and love the ride on my Rubicon. Mine is a DD with occasional trail use for now. cant comment on tires as i am still running the stock tires since i cant decide on wheels an tires lol

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Can someone please help me figure out which Rock Krawler 2.5" kit to go with? I do not know if I need the mid arm or long arm option. I'm assuming the mid arm is what I need. But there are 4 different mid arm options... This is going on my DD and I plan on taking it on mostly trail runs on the weekends- no extreme rock crawling. I don't to buy the cheapest one assuming that it will be fine for my needs... I've been looking at the Max Travel kit. Is this kit suitable for DD and weekend trail riding? Or is the Flex System better for my needs? Here is the link to the website JKU 2.5" Mid Arm Systems I plan on buying Fox shocks to go with this lift. I haven't decided which ones in particular yet. I do want ones with the separate reservoir. Advise on shocks would be helpful as well. Based off of other threads that I have read, I know this is "better" off road lift and there are other brands that will give more of a "stock" ride. I do not want a "stock" ride feel, which is why I've decided on this brand. As stated in other threads, this is my first Jeep and I am very new to lift kits, shocks, and all of the other mods. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Given you own a 4 door, the max travel will work just fine for you. Heck even the flex system.
The 2.5" coils might end up a little higher without any weight. If you're going to run a 33" tire ... The 1.5's are a great choice as well.

The main difference between the Max/flex. The max includes (close to stock length) rear lower CA's for tire clearance. Both kits include front lowers which you want for caster angle.

The x-factor kit moves the axle back 1". Helps if running a 37 or bigger tire.

Choose the kit .. Then choose a shock and tire. Bump stops depend on shock compressed lengths, tire diameter and stock/flat flares.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Given you own a 4 door, the max travel will work just fine for you. Heck even the flex system.
The 2.5" coils might end up a little higher without any weight. If you're going to run a 33" tire ... The 1.5's are a great choice as well.

The main difference between the Max/flex. The max includes (close to stock length) rear lower CA's for tire clearance. Both kits include front lowers which you want for caster angle.

The x-factor kit moves the axle back 1". Helps if running a 37 or bigger tire.

Choose the kit .. Then choose a shock and tire. Bump stops depend on shock compressed lengths, tire diameter and stock/flat flares.
Thanks for explaining the difference with the different kits. I'm planning on doing bumpers and body armour once my back account allows me to LOL.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have the 1.5 RK system. Still have the stock tires. When these wear out I probably move up to a 33. I personally think anything higher with 33s does not look good. I only go out on the trails once, maybe twice a month so this setup is perfect for me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts