Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this 1993 YJ last week and the steering wheel is running a little off center, jeep tracks straight as well as brakes straight. I have read and watched youtube vids on how to straighten the steering wheel with the drag link and I understand this procedure but my jeep has a after market drag link from Rock Krawler and it doesn't have the adjustment link in the shaft. Wasn't designed with one. This drag link is designed for the lift on the jeep. The Pitman arm is the drop down model as well. The only way I see to lengthen or shorten the drag link is to drop it off the Pitman arm and then screw the adjusting connector in or out and re-attach back to the Pitman arm or do the same to the other side of the drag link at the passenger wheel. :beerme:I'm unable to just turn the entire shaft due to it's shape. Is this correct or is there a simpler way that I'm not seeing. Thx for any help. I tried looking up instructions in internet no luck.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
One end should be right hand thread and the other left hand thread. Loosen the jam nuts or collars and turn the center tube one way or the other to shorten or lengthen the tie rod. Pics would help .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics added

Hope these pics load, as you can see the shape of the drag link not being straight it would hit other suspension parts and can't be turned.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MoWrangler I see you were saying to turn the Tie rod, I was speaking to the drag link adjustment, this would be for centering your steering wheel without changing the tire alignment, is this correct?

·
Registered
558 Posts
There are bolts on each end of the drag link loosen them all as far as they can go loosen the bolts for the steering damper and use a pipe wrench on the drag link itself to turn which ever way is closest to centering the wheel you might want someone to watch the wheel make sure the steering wheel is NOT locked or you will break stuff in the column it's a PITA to get the drag link to turn I used a torch on mine for a while to break the rust once it's straight tighten everything back up and take it for a spin around the block to make sure the wheel is straight if not repeat till it is

·
Registered
558 Posts
Wait am I seeing this right you have a drop pitman arm and a z drag link?? Not sure this method will work there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's correct xjrjrx, my rock krawler drag link is a z arm with a drop down pitman. I underestand the method you first discribed, but with this type of drag link it seems to me that I need to drop the end off the pitman arm then i would be able to crew the end out or in and then re attach to the pitman arm with the wheel in dead center position, sure if this is the correct method with this type of drag link. If i can't find a DIY answer I'll contacy the tech line or just take it into my local shop here in St. Pete Fl, Jeepetos and have them show mw. Thx,
And if you ain't hitting ur doing it wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts