Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with this suspension company? Thinking of buying the 5.5" kit for my jk but don't know much about them. How do they compare with other companies?

·
Registered
727 Posts
They're one of the good ones. Lots of people run them and are happy. I run their triple rate 1.5 springs and have been pleased with them.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have the 2.5" Max Travel kit with Fox shocks. It's been good for me so far. I actually netted about 3.25" of lift with steel bumpers, winch, etc. on my JKU.

Why 5.5" (or is that a typo)? Planning to run 40" or larger tires? I hope you understand the driveline and other ramifications of that tall of a lift.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the 2.5" Max Travel kit with Fox shocks. It's been good for me so far. I actually netted about 3.25" of lift with steel bumpers, winch, etc. on my JKU.

Why 5.5" (or is that a typo)? Planning to run 40" or larger tires? I hope you understand the driveline and other ramifications of that tall of a lift.
Yes I'm planning to run 37 or 40" tires. I understand what all I'll have to modify but am ready to tackle the challenge. Should be a fun build if I can find the time to start it.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with this suspension company? Thinking of buying the 5.5" kit for my jk but don't know much about them. How do they compare with other companies?
I find it kind of strange that you know nothing about Rock Krawler suspensions yet you know of all the work required to safely run 40" tires and a 5.5" lift??? Having said that 37's can be run on a 2.5" lift and flat fenders saving a pile of money and headaches involved in a 5.5" lift, something to consider. Rock Krawler is one of the top rated brands around for more heavily abused JK's, up there with metal cloak

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I find it kind of strange that you know nothing about Rock Krawler suspensions yet you know of all the work required to safely run 40" tires and a 5.5" lift??? Having said that 37's can be run on a 2.5" lift and flat fenders saving a pile of money and headaches involved in a 5.5" lift, something to consider. Rock Krawler is one of the top rated brands around for more heavily abused JK's, up there with metal cloak
I have heard that Rock Krawler makes good products, but wanted to hear from jeepers that have RK kits installed on their jeeps. My main reasoning for wanting to run larger tires and a taller lift is that I want my Jeep to be unlike others. Most people would shy away from the extra cost and headaches of the larger lifts which is why you don't see many of them compared to shorter lifts. I've always just wanted a really tall, tough looking jeep. I hope you understand my reasoning. I am not just an ignorant newbie that doesn't factor in cost and work put into the jeep. I just want to stand out from the group👍

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If you are planning to do a 5.5" lift with 40s, I hope you'll do a build thread. I'd like to follow along to see what modifications you end up doing.

Having said that, marslim is correct. If your goal is to ultimately run 37s, a 3.5" lift or even a 2.5" lift can accommodate 37s and save a whole lot of money. Even with 40s you can get by with less than a 5.5" lift.

I sometimes see guys that come from a truck background that think they need huge lifts to accommodate bigger tires, but in a jeep, it's not only not necessary, but really undesirable if you plan to go off-roading. A lower center of gravity is usually preferable unless you really need belly clearance for monster boulders, or doing crazy mudding and such.

edit: just read your post above. Sounds like you're doing this more for looks than functionality. Good luck. Post your build thread here. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are planning to do a 5.5" lift with 40s, I hope you'll do a build thread. I'd like to follow along to see what modifications you end up doing.

Having said that, marslim is correct. If your goal is to ultimately run 37s, a 2.5" lift or even a 3.5" lift can accommodate 37s and save a whole lot of money. Even with 40s you can get by with less than a 5.5" lift.

I sometime see guys that come from a truck background that think they need huge lifts to accommodate bigger tires, but in a jeep, it's not only not necessary, but really undesirable if you plan to go off-roading. A lower center of gravity is usually preferable unless you really need belly clearance for monster boulders, or doing crazy mudding and such.

I know 5.5" and 40s are crazy, but like I said I don't want an average jeep. Whatever I do I will start a build thread and show you guys what all I am doing to the Jeep. Just have to find the time to do it. But with Christmas coming up I may just have to buy myself a few Christmas presents! I'll be off for a little over a week in December so that will probably be my build time. I will look into some 4" lifts and balance pros and cons but right now I'm set on a 5.5".

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
RK is one of the best lift kit manufacturers both from an Engineering and Manufacturing perspective. Customer services is also solid. Their lift kits provide a lot of articulation. The only lifts with comparable pure off road performance are from MetalCloak and maybe Teraflex.

That is a very tall lift kit is very tall. Unless you have used at least 3-4" lift kits in the past you may want to install a shorter kit and avoid all the issues with the tall lift, particularly if this is DD.

If you decide decide to build a Big Jeep and it will do more than intimidate parking stanchions at the mall, then don't skimp on the shocks and get some shocks that can match the performance: Fox or King.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RK is one of the best lift kit manufacturers both from an Engineering and Manufacturing perspective. Customer services is also solid. Their lift kits provide a lot of articulation. The only lifts with comparable pure off road performance are from MetalCloak and maybe Teraflex.

That is a very tall lift kit is very tall. Unless you have used at least 3-4" lift kits in the past you may want to install a shorter kit and avoid all the issues with the tall lift, particularly if this is DD.

If you decide decide to build a Big Jeep and it will do more than intimidate parking stanchions at the mall, then don't skimp on the shocks and get some shocks that can match the performance: Fox or King.

I've installed a few 4" kits so it shouldn't be too much different. I agree on shocks. This will be a DD but also a trail rig.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I don't know if this is true of their taller lifts with long arms, but their 2.5" and 3.5" lifts invariably net greater lift heights, even with heavier bumpers, etc. Just something to consider when thinking about what your ultimate goal is as far as lift height.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if this is true of their taller lifts with long arms, but their 2.5" and 3.5" lifts invariably net greater lift heights, even with heavier bumpers, etc. Just something to consider when thinking about what your ultimate goal is as far as lift height.
Thanks for the heads up! It will probably be the same principle for the 5.5". I am contacting the factory now to discuss this issue.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I have heard that Rock Krawler makes good products, but wanted to hear from jeepers that have RK kits installed on their jeeps. My main reasoning for wanting to run larger tires and a taller lift is that I want my Jeep to be unlike others. Most people would shy away from the extra cost and headaches of the larger lifts which is why you don't see many of them compared to shorter lifts. I've always just wanted a really tall, tough looking jeep. I hope you understand my reasoning. I am not just an ignorant newbie that doesn't factor in cost and work put into the jeep. I just want to stand out from the group👍
I wasn't judging anything, to each their own. I just want to make sure you do your research and fully know what you're getting into. There is a reason, actually many reasons you don't see jeeps as you've described. ALOT of work and custom modifications are required, reliability goes for a shit (unless ALOT of money is put into it) and it just becomes impractical for daily use and/or for 90% of wheeling situations. Interested to see how it all turns out if you go through with it though

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,400 Posts
Maybe I can interject some...

We are a little bias with RK. We have been a dealer for them for YEARS. We offer a lot of different lifts but feel that RK is one of the best on the market with their Triple Rate Coils. With that being said, on my personal 2013 JKU, I run their 3.5" X Factor Long Arm kit. It is a 3 link front and rear. I have been running this lift for 2 years now with 40's. We have had it up and down the east coast. It will run 85mph on the highway with no issues! Offroad, it is amazing at the amount of flex we have with 3.5" lift and 40's!

-Jason

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe I can interject some...

We are a little bias with RK. We have been a dealer for them for YEARS. We offer a lot of different lifts but feel that RK is one of the best on the market with their Triple Rate Coils. With that being said, on my personal 2013 JKU, I run their 3.5" X Factor Long Arm kit. It is a 3 link front and rear. I have been running this lift for 2 years now with 40's. We have had it up and down the east coast. It will run 85mph on the highway with no issues! Offroad, it is amazing at the amount of flex we have with 3.5" lift and 40's!

-Jason
Does RK offer a 4"?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wasn't judging anything, to each their own. I just want to make sure you do your research and fully know what you're getting into. There is a reason, actually many reasons you don't see jeeps as you've described. ALOT of work and custom modifications are required, reliability goes for a shit (unless ALOT of money is put into it) and it just becomes impractical for daily use and/or for 90% of wheeling situations. Interested to see how it all turns out if you go through with it though
I will look into smaller lifts and weight the cost and parts with the percentage of off road/on road use of the jeep. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I will look into smaller lifts and weight the cost and parts with the percentage of off road/on road use of the jeep. Thanks for your input!
There are several locals in my area running 40's with 3.5-4" lifts and flat fenders, they make my 2dr on 35's look like a kids toy lol. It's worth looking into then at least you know all your options!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts