Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 4 autozone fog lights and I would like to do rock lights with them. How should they be wired?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not sure what you mean, here are some thiughts...

I didn't want to add too many switches, and I have pulled my foglights. So, I set up my rocklights on the fog light switch. Works great and became intuitive within a few uses.

You do know to wire up with the switch controlling a relay...?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I would put the lights where you want them, put the negative sides of each light to the closest ground point (body or frame), and run all the positive wires to one point either in the engine bay or behind the dash. Put in a relay to power the lights and a switch wherever you want to control the relay.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 6 walmart 55w lights. What gauge, fuse and relay do I need, I'm bad with terms and numbers with electrical but I'm pretty good at actually wiring so if someone can help me on that front that would be great.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Well 55 watts×6 lights is 330 watts total. 330 watts/12 volts is 27.5 amps total draw for the 6 lights. I would run 10 gauge wire from the battery to the relay, 14 gauge from the relay to each light, and probably 14 gauge for the relay power switch as well. A 40 amp relay would be good and a matching fuse.

Just as a reference point, my LED strip rock lights I made for $30 or so pull less than 2 amps.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Truthfully for that amount of lighting and draw you should start over and get some small led lights. I haven't ordered anything yet but when I'm ready I'm going to go led. No heavy gauge wire need and no relays, and almost no draw. Just an idea. You might be able to sell what you have. http://www.superbrightleds.com is the site.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I realized it's not the best setup but I'm a student athlete so money isn't growing and I have mostly everything to do this. So I'm hoping to do this as close to free as possible

1 - 8 of 8 Posts