Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Sorry if this is a silly question...I just picked up my 2015 JK Willys 2D this weekend. It came with the Rubicon rock rails and the larger tires. Although I'm not that short and I can get into the Jeep without too much issue I was just wondering if I can put running boards or some kind of step without removing the rock rails.

Hopefully the question isn't as silly as I'm thinking it might be...easy on me, first time Jeep owner and the only other cars of owned were just that...little 2 door coupes!

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I have never found an add-on step for the factory rock rails. There are 3rd party rock rails that have "ingenious" ways of having a step too, but not from Jeep/Mopar.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ACE have always been popular. They are more of a slider but work as a step.
Extreme Terrain has a similar slider from Barricade. I think either will work for you :)
Would this be in addition to or in place of the current rock rails? Again, sorry if I'm seem clueless...I kinda am at this point! HAHA

·
Registered
616 Posts
The answer is you cannot keep the rails you have and add a step also.

You can either A : relace the rock rails that you have now with a unit that has a built in step.

or B : Have someone weld a step on the rails you have currently.

The good news is you can sell those rock rails easily on craigslist if you decide to replace them, I also was very pleased with my ACE rails with step.

If you don't NEED the rock rails, I am certain someone would swap their step for yours.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
The stock style steps/running boards and the Rubi rails are an either - or deal since they were de the same mounting holes. You have a few options depending on your budget and how you use your Jeep.

If you don't plan to do anything more than light offroad (dirt roads, no big break overs) you can go with stock style plastic steps or soft metal tube steps that are not rock rated. If you do anything serious you'll probably hear them disintegrate before you feel it happening.

If you plan to offroad you can switch back and forth between stock style steps and Rubi rails but that gets old real fast - ask me how I know?

You can also add frame mounted Ace rock rails with the Rubi rails to get extra protection and a foothold. Or you can get rock rails with integrated steps or at least a place to step up on - there are a bunch of options.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Sarah,

You should ask yourself. Do you plan on seriously off-roading the jeep?

If so that side step you linked will be useless, it will just get torn off and could damage the body where it is mounted.

If you don't plan on doing serious off roading you should be able to easily trade your rubicon rails for a set of running boards off craigslist, or maybe the dealership will even swap these for you as they could install the rubi rails on another jeep.

If you plan on seriously off roading the jeep AND want a side step you want something like this
ACE Engineering JK Rock Sliders (2 Door)

It will fit on over your rubicon rails, act as a side step and very valuable body protection.

·
Registered
616 Posts
yup, great product, 10 min install, has a step and is tough as nails.
ACE Engineering JK Rock Sliders (2 Door)

Hi Sarah,

You should ask yourself. Do you plan on seriously off-roading the jeep?

If so that side step you linked will be useless, it will just get torn off and could damage the body where it is mounted.

If you don't plan on doing serious off roading you should be able to easily trade your rubicon rails for a set of running boards off craigslist, or maybe the dealership will even swap these for you as they could install the rubi rails on another jeep.

If you plan on seriously off roading the jeep AND want a side step you want something like this

It will fit on over your rubicon rails, act as a side step and very valuable body protection.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perfect! Thanks so much Sandiegodoug and everyone else!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Would this be in addition to or in place of the current rock rails? Again, sorry if I'm seem clueless...I kinda am at this point! HAHA
I just installed the barricade rock sliders over my mopar rock rails this weekend. I have the 4 door, but here is a link to the 2 door

Barricade Wrangler Rock Sliders - Textured Black J100288 (07-15 Wrangler JK 2 Door) - Free Shipping

Install was pretty easy, they mount right to the frame. Three bolts on each side for me, probably just two for.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
I just installed the barricade rock sliders over my mopar rock rails this weekend. I have the 4 door, but here is a link to the 2 door

Barricade Wrangler Rock Sliders - Textured Black J100288 (07-15 Wrangler JK 2 Door) - Free Shipping

Install was pretty easy, they mount right to the frame. Three bolts on each side for me, probably just two for.
They look great on there! I'm glad to hear the install was a breeze.

SarahCres, let me know if you're interested in the Barricade sliders and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have!

-Ryan

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
My wife wanted a Step for her 92 year old mother on her JKU Polar...which comes standard with the Rubi rails...we went with ACE...their lifetime warranty is kind of impressive as well.

We liked them so much we went with ACE for our '12 2 door as well..even though it doesn't have the Rubi rails. also got bumpers and undercarriage armor from ACE.....fit is always very good.....and American made.

a couple Pics.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have Rubicon rock rails and put Ace rock sliders over them. I use them as steps every bit as well as my Sahara steps. Better, actually, because of the 3M outdoor grip tape I put on them. As others have mentioned, Barricades are a less expensive option. My understanding is that they are not American-made, but that they are similarly durable and have a slightly different look. I also want to give "honorable mention" to JCR's enhanced Rubicon rails. These would replace your Rubicon rails, and are essentially both Rubi rails and rock sliders integrated as a single unit. They are quite durable, and lighter weight than a combined set. That said, since you already have Rubi rails you'd spend less money adding sliders.

·
Registered
250 Posts
They look great on there! I'm glad to hear the install was a breeze.

SarahCres, let me know if you're interested in the Barricade sliders and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have!

-Ryan
Thanks Ryan! I love the look, and the wife and kids love the step :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts