Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my stock rubicon rails and I need a rock slider/rock rail with built in steps. There doesn't seem to be a while lotta options out there. What are you guys and gals running and are you happy with your choice? Thanks.

·
Registered
875 Posts
ACE engineering and fab. Wide enough for steps, can even put some textures tape on top for traction.
Still strong enough for sliders.
You can also just install over your rubi rails.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
+1 for the ACE rock sliders. The good part is they work with the stock Rubi rails.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Anyone know of a ACE retailer in Ontario Canada?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Smittybilt SRC Side Armor... Any info on these? They look great but am concerned how well they will fit...so many mixed reviews. Help?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just grab her by her azz and hoist her up!!! That's what I do & we both enjoy it!

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
ACE engineering and fab. Wide enough for steps, can even put some textures tape on top for traction.
Still strong enough for sliders.
You can also just install over your rubi rails.
+1 for the ACE rock sliders. The good part is they work with the stock Rubi rails.
yep... keep your rubi rails and add the ACE sliders below. :thumb: nice clean look if you ask me...

Just grab her by her azz and hoist her up!!! That's what I do & we both enjoy it!
:rofl: i've been known to practice that technique with my old lady on occasion! :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Smittybilt SRC Side Armor... Any info on these? They look great but am concerned how well they will fit...so many mixed reviews. Help?
I looked at these and decided that
1) for everyone that had it I saw mixed reviews, the first problem with paint and fit were going to be universally different as it was mostly a quality control/mass production issue for smittybilt as a whole.
2) I just didn't like the look.

I have the Smittybuilt rocksliders/classic sides with step instead

work pretty well though their paint coverage and rust protection isn't the greatest: had rust spots 3 days after installing (it rained all 3 days to be fair) but I plan on redoing the paint to match the wheels anyways. For the price it was a good deal.

rock slider is comparable to the ones from the stock rubi. so take what you will from that. I have a sport so it is an improvement over nothing, and the steps work well for my wife.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Those Ace Rails look awesome and I like the look when they are combined with the Rubicon rails which I already have.

I have been mulling over the MORE hide-a-step but I just don't know how useful that small step would really be. Mountain Off-Road JKST07 - M.O.R.E. Hide-A-Step for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

A quick search on the Q produced these results:
N-FAB J074RKR - N-Fab Rock-Rails for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec
HyLine OffRoad 400300100 - HyLine OffRoad Tube Step Rocker Panels for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec
Smittybilt 76634 - Smittybilt SRC Side Armor in Textured Black for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec

I know you were actually looking for feedback on rails that people are already using but I figured it wouldn't hurt to list a few more to see if anyone has comments on them.

My girlfriend barely reaches 5ft, this is a purchase I am trying to convince her she should buy as it would REALLY benefit her :whistling: hahaha

·
Registered
392 Posts
My wife wasn't sold either, until we go sideswiped by a car at about 40mph. The rails took all of the impact and prevented certain destruction to the whole left side of my jeep. Now she want's rock rails on her car. LOL

·
Registered
212 Posts
My wife wasn't sold either, until we go sideswiped by a car at about 40mph. The rails took all of the impact and prevented certain destruction to the whole left side of my jeep. LOL
+1.....I had the plastic factory side-steps and replaced them with rubi's plus Ace rails for the reason above. Although the factory side-steps provide a bigger step, the Ace rails are good enough. More importantly, when coupled with the rubi's, they may offer protection in a side-impact crash.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
yep... keep your rubi rails and add the ACE sliders below. :thumb: nice clean look if you ask me...
X2

We got the ACE rock sliders first, and they are great. Adding the Rubi rails just finished it off and makes it look fantastic! :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have been a huge fan of nerf-bars since the late '80s. I had a '91 4-Runner with SmittyBilt chrome nerfs that I got T-boned in when a woman blew a stop-sign, and the nerf saved the SUV from serious damage.

One beef that I have had with some is rust. I have a new '13 JKUR and would like to add the Ace Rock Sliders so I can keep the stock rail. Does anyone have an Ace that has been on their Wrangler for a few years, and can you comment on how the finish holds up over time?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about the ACE rails...

Winner!

·
Registered
404 Posts
ACE was the answer for us too, double duty rock slider / step for wife- one of the first mods.

·
Registered
539 Posts
So with the Ace Sliders does it lower clearance? the pictures show that the built in rock sliders are still present. Seems kind of redundant.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Get you some Ace Rock Rails. They are affordable and look great. They also can be used as a step and obviously protect your Jeep from off roading and from doors in the parking lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am running Garvin Wildreness Rock Rails and my kid loved being able to get in on his own now. They are very stout and cover the areas covered by the factory rubicon rails and ace rails.......on a side note there are no native rocks in Florida.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts