Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Smittybilt XRC Rock Sliders that tie into the body mounts and I am wanting to get a body lift now to complement a SYE/tummy tuck/MML

Who has rock sliders that tie into body mounts and also has a body lift, what did you have to do or not do to use them together?

PS:This is not my Jeep I just don't have a good pick of mine.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
soo...put the pucks between the rockers and the body mount...where they're supposed to go.

or pull the rockers off and hack the body mount points off with a grinder.

I'd suggest a SYE/CV shaft and removal of the t-case drop first tho...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
soo...put the pucks between the rockers and the body mount...where they're supposed to go.

or pull the rockers off and hack the body mount points off with a grinder.
I would much rather keep the Rocker guards integration of using the body mounts to keep the strength of it. For installing the rocker guards you have to trim the rubber of the body mounts and you put the metal cupped part of the body mount in between the slider and body.

I'd suggest a SYE/CV shaft and removal of the t-case drop first tho...
This isn't a pic of my jeep I have no T-case drop on mine. Also the BL is in lieu of a SYE/TT/MML.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So all I got was a response from someone who didn't even read my first post?

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
First take a chill pill....it's Chrismas afterall........No need to get snooty if you don't get the responce you wanted maybe it's because the answer is obvious to others.....I chose not to run a body lift but I'll take a stab at your question.

From the research I did when I put my rockers on........Body lift makes absolutely no difference with the rockers. Trimming the rubbers from the stock body mount is much easier than trimming the pucks of the BL.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't realize that that was snotty. Was just pointing out that he didn't read my little three sentences and that no one else responded.

Maybe I didn't explain how the sliders are installed though I thought the picture would do that job for me. To install them you remove the metal cup that goes ontop of the body mount rubber. You trim the rubber of 3/16" to compensate for the metal in the slider. Then you place the metal cup back against the body and put the slider in between that and the rubber of the body mount. All body lifts I see just have a spacer you place on top of the entire mount which wouldn't work due to the slider. If I just move the metal piece back down over the rubber then there will be a gap between the body and the slider that will allow movement and possibly wear and damage to either the nutsert, mount or rubber. and maybe even the bolt hold the body to the frame.

Look closely at the picture and you can see the metal part above the rocker

·
Registered
940 Posts
I just finished puting the same rocker guards on today. And was wondering the same thing. There's a sleeve thats attached to that top disc that is on top of the guard and the rubber is under.So if you put another inch in the sleeve is now a inch to short. Not to mention what a pain in the butt it looks like it would be. I would like to know too cus im planing to put a 1 inch BL too. Kind of wish i would have done that first now.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to be buying the JKS 1.25 lift by new years so I will tell you how it goes. Will probably include washers. Though there is a lift kit that replaces the whole body mounts instead of doing the super cheap spacers. The Daystar 1" body lift. You know, for 130 bucks I would expect new rubber but hey. I need that extra .25" because of the ultra clearance tummy tuck I will be using. Also I will definitly not be using the cheap MML of JKS's and go with something like brown dog's 1" MML.

·
Registered
463 Posts
When I bought my sliders, you had to indicate if you had a BL or not, so I'm assuming there is a significant difference in the set-up.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Dang. I dont know. I just went out and looked again and dont look fun. Does anyone make a one piece mount thats one inch taller? Not sure if a BL comes with a new sleeve or not

·
Registered
940 Posts
I am going to be buying the JKS 1.25 lift by new years so I will tell you how it goes. Will probably include washers. Though there is a lift kit that replaces the whole body mounts instead of doing the super cheap spacers. The Daystar 1" body lift. You know, for 130 bucks I would expect new rubber but hey. I need that extra .25" because of the ultra clearance tummy tuck I will be using. Also I will definitly not be using the cheap MML of JKS's and go with something like brown dog's 1" MML.
sorry didnt read your post before i posted mine about the hole mount being longer

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I installed the JKS body lift last week and figured out how to install it with the rockers still in their place.

Since the spacers mount directly above the original mount and the hole is only large enough for the bolt. I figured all I had to do was enlarge the hole wide enough to fit the metal sleeve through it. Here's some pics.

I used some die grinder stones. They we just slightly smaller in diameter to the metal sleeve so they made it a perfect very snug fit. It takes a while to open them up and I had melted polyurethane flying every which way but it worked out great! I had to hammer in the metal sleeves with a rubber mallet to get them in all the way and leaving enough room for them to slip around the rockers.

When I first did this I though about using a bunch of thick heavy washers then realized that I would have to cut even more out of the original mounts to make them the right size and wanted a better solution. I don't think moving the metal sleeve to above the spacer is going to add any more instability that the spacers themselves would cause. But if you don't want to do it this way using washers inbetween the rockers and body would work but remember to cut out more of either your rubber mount or the spacers to account for that extra usage of space.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to get a picture of them mounted but will try to remember when I get home from work

1 - 13 of 13 Posts