Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want sliders, wife would like steps. She's not a short girl, at just under 5'8". Sons are 13, 11 and 7.

This decision has held up the install of sliders by two months, and I've been reluctant to ask here because I'm sure this has been discussed. I've searched other slider / rails threads, but haven't found this specific conversation. Forgive me if I've missed it.

Not a hardcore "rocker", but will visit Uwharrie this Spring and Summer. I don't want to permanently lower my rig's profile (2.5" lift on 35s), or at all if I can prevent it, so I'm considering the N-FAB sliders with removable steps.

So that I don't create another general slider & rail "I prefer brand / model x" thread, I'll ask simply:
Has anyone here faced a similar decision? Did you find a slider that provided enough of a step to avoid an actual step? Anyone using the N-FAB sliders with removable steps?

Thanks in advance gang.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
daggo,
The JKU version of what you posted is one I'm considering. Do you have a wife / girlfriend or kids that were satisfied with them as a step?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
35's and 3.5 inch lift. Wife is 5'2" and I have a 7 year old that all can use my ORFAB sliders. Still a little hike up due to them being vertically challenged, but they are wide enough to be used as steps.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
daggo,
The JKU version of what you posted is one I'm considering. Do you have a wife / girlfriend or kids that were satisfied with them as a step?
My 5" tall wife has them on her 14 JK with 35's. The step along with a set of Grabars is the only way she can get it!

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ive been looking athe exact same ones myself. I'm also looking at the barricade and ace sliders but not sure if they will work well enough as a step.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I had the JKU version of the Smittybilt's...they work as a step, and make a good pivot point when wheeling. They also make a good step, but they do hand down low and tend to get caught up on objects.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
I want sliders, wife would like steps. She's not a short girl, at just under 5'8". Sons are 13, 11 and 7.

This decision has held up the install of sliders by two months, and I've been reluctant to ask here because I'm sure this has been discussed. I've searched other slider / rails threads, but haven't found this specific conversation. Forgive me if I've missed it.

Not a hardcore "rocker", but will visit Uwharrie this Spring and Summer. I don't want to permanently lower my rig's profile (2.5" lift on 35s), or at all if I can prevent it, so I'm considering the N-FAB sliders with removable steps.

So that I don't create another general slider & rail "I prefer brand / model x" thread, I'll ask simply:
Has anyone here faced a similar decision? Did you find a slider that provided enough of a step to avoid an actual step? Anyone using the N-FAB sliders with removable steps?

Thanks in advance gang.
Smittybilt SRC Classic Rock Rails W/ Step might serve you well. They sit up high to the body while still giving you a step and protection. Since your wife isn't short the step should be enough. If you needed more of a step I would suggest looking at the removable ones. Unfortunately ease of stepping and ground clearance are mutually exclusive. Let me know if you're interested in those and I'll get you a price!

-Ryan

·
Registered
213 Posts
Those are the ones I installed in place of 1st the oem rubi rails & then the oem mopar steps.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Waiting on some Ace Sliders. I'll put some grip tape on them for my 5 and 9 yr olds.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just installed these on my JKU and I love them. Wife likes them as a step, and she is 5'6".

Took about 20 minutes total to install both sides. If you read the reviews people complain about the install process, but I think they redesigned the mounts recently. Remove 4 body mount nuts from each side, lift them into place and tighten the nuts back down.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Just installed these on my JKU and I love them. Wife likes them as a step, and she is 5'6".

Took about 20 minutes total to install both sides. If you read the reviews people complain about the install process, but I think they redesigned the mounts recently. Remove 4 body mount nuts from each side, lift them into place and tighten the nuts back down.
I know I had trouble with my Smitty rails not fitting when I bought them 2 years ago. If they have gotten their Chinese supplier to make them better it would improve my opinion of them a little.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Smittybilt SRC Classic Rock Rails W/ Step might serve you well. They sit up high to the body while still giving you a step and protection. Since your wife isn't short the step should be enough. If you needed more of a step I would suggest looking at the removable ones. Unfortunately ease of stepping and ground clearance are mutually exclusive. Let me know if you're interested in those and I'll get you a price!

-Ryan
I have these on mine and I still think I would like a lower step option but not sure I like the NFAB with the lower step. You can barely see mine in this pick but you can see how close the are to floor board height. It has a 3.5 lift on 35s.

ForumRunner_20150331_152404.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Smittybilt SRC Side Armor sounds like a great option.

I've looked at the N-FAB with detachable step because they provide her a step, and I can remove when wheelin' (and keep a higher profile, in general.)

Anyone tried them?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
TNT Adventure Sliders/Steps

1 - 20 of 38 Posts