Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been fixing up my '99 TJ SE and finally getting around to the AC. Tried to pull a vacuum, and the rock that went through the radiator went through the condenser, too. Duh.

So, I got the cheapest condenser from RockAuto. Not a difficult install, but I went to hook up the lines and nothing fit.

I changed and lubed the o-rings, but the new condenser has larger fittings than the old one.

Did anyone have an experience like this? I didn't know there were different size AC pressure connections.

Do I send this one back or get new lines? Then would they fit the other parts?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Assuming you have original lines, i would want the correct condenser just in case you have to replace it again in the future or you need to replace a line. Much better to have the correct part installed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
I used the Rock Auto condenser in my 99. It did not fit well at all. I had to do a lot of bending. Especially since I put in a Mishimoto radiator at the same time. The A/C compressor at least fit but the wire harness was wrong. I had to do some modifications to get it to work. I will not use Rock Auto ever again. Autozone could not seem to come up with the correct compressor so I tried Rock. The new compressor is a lot louder than the original.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I used rock Auto for condenser for my 98. Perfect fit.

They usually sell multiple different brands, including Mopar on some items. Many times their prices are great, sometimes the shipping kills it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the Rock Auto condenser in my 99. It did not fit well at all. I had to do a lot of bending. Especially since I put in a Mishimoto radiator at the same time. The A/C compressor at least fit but the wire harness was wrong. I had to do some modifications to get it to work. I will not use Rock Auto ever again. Autozone could not seem to come up with the correct compressor so I tried Rock. The new compressor is a lot louder than the original.
I have come to the conclusion that RockAuto is hit or miss on a 50/50 basis. I've been ordering from them for years, and this is the second time I've had to return something that doesn't fit. The other stuff I just put up with.

But now I have a O2 sensor and a crankshaft position sensor sitting in boxes that I haven't even attempted to replace. I'm worried about their fitment now.

Live and learn.

BTW, I've ordered a new condenser from Pit Stop Parts on eBay after reading someone's advice in another thread here. I'll let you know how that goes.

The Rock condenser will soon be on it's way back.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
RockAuto does not manufacture any parts; they are just a large warehouse that gives you access to different manufacturers' offerings for nearly everything on the road. They stock cheap crap, good stuff, and overpriced bling, and try to organize/label it as such for you. They'll let you buy anything you want; it's up to you to make a wise decision based on your budget and expectations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RockAuto does not manufacture any parts; they are just a large warehouse that gives you access to different manufacturers' offerings for nearly everything on the road. They stock cheap crap, good stuff, and overpriced bling, and try to organize/label it as such for you. They'll let you buy anything you want; it's up to you to make a wise decision based on your budget and expectations.
I figured as much. Of course, most of the big name auto parts stores are run by mouse jockeys who know only what they can read on the screen. I can do that, too, but I expect that if the part is listed for my vehicle that it would actually fit my vehicle.

Of course, there's no one at RockAuto to speak with, and when you try to return something they're surprised as you are that the part doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I figured as much. Of course, most of the big name auto parts stores are run by mouse jockeys who know only what they can read on the screen. I can do that, too, but I expect that if the part is listed for my vehicle that it would actually fit my vehicle.

Of course, there's no one at RockAuto to speak with, and when you try to return something they're surprised as you are that the part doesn't work.
I've done returns to rock Auto. It was simple, no issues whatsoever.

There are times when MFG or retailers get things wrong. You may have one of those instances. Assuming you got the correct part number, it may not be tock autos fault. I surmise the data on their site, specifically, the application of a particular part, comes from the mfg and Rick Auto doesn't independently verify the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts