Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the shrockworks rocker guards on the TJ, great product, but it seems that I have to repaint them every other trail run. thus just wondering what paints some of you have used that seem to last longer. Most Of my issuse is from using them as steps to get into and out of the jeep. Oh and right now I am using what ever gloss black I have in the garage. Do you think I should use a bedliner type product?
 

·
Im bringin flexy back!
Joined
·
678 Posts
duraliner entire jeep IMO
 

·
I got nothin'
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
4Jeepn said:
I have the shrockworks rocker guards on the TJ, great product, but it seems that I have to repaint them every other trail run. thus just wondering what paints some of you have used that seem to last longer. Most Of my issuse is from using them as steps to get into and out of the jeep. Oh and right now I am using what ever gloss black I have in the garage. Do you think I should use a bedliner type product?
A bedliner would hold up much better than any paint. IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,242 Posts
I just painted my whole Jeep with Krylon. I would think a bed liner material would hold up much better than paint. I think Duplicolor has it in an aerosol can. I have never used it, but it may be worth looking in to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,344 Posts
i'd have to vote for the bedliner as well. i lined my front bumper with herculiner and it's wonderful. much better than the paint that was on it. i just bought a quart of it and i had some left over to touch up some spots inside my jeep that needed some extra. i rolled it on really thick too.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well it sounds like the bedliner style product is the way to go.. guess I will add it to my winter project list.. thanks all!
 

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
Joined
·
7,760 Posts
4Jeepn said:
well it sounds like the bedliner style product is the way to go.. guess I will add it to my winter project list.. thanks all!
Have you done any checkin locally to see what powder coating would cost? Because that would be the best solution for you. I know around here you can get a couple of sliders done for about 50 bucks and the powder coat will last quite a long time.
 

·
Knows a couple things...
Joined
·
49,616 Posts
I'm not sure anything really holds up to a major scrape or impact with a rock, I just use satin-black Rust-Oleum once in a while. :)
 

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
Joined
·
7,760 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
I'm not sure anything really holds up to a major scrape or impact with a rock, I just use satin-black Rust-Oleum once in a while. :)
Yeah, Jerry you are very right for that situation. My Rockers just get a new coat of satin black after every few runs just to keep the rust down. Hell I probably got 20 coats on them. :D Thought about having them powdercoated once, but the AZ rocks would grind right thru it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
4Jeepn said:
I have the shrockworks rocker guards on the TJ, great product, but it seems that I have to repaint them every other trail run. thus just wondering what paints some of you have used that seem to last longer. Most Of my issuse is from using them as steps to get into and out of the jeep. Oh and right now I am using what ever gloss black I have in the garage. Do you think I should use a bedliner type product?

I just bought a set of the shrockworks rocker guards. I paid the extra 55 to get them powder coated. haven't received them yet. how hard was the install? I have a small dent in the rocker from where I pushed the stock step into it do you think this will cause a problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
wazzupwhite said:
I just bought a set of the shrockworks rocker guards. I paid the extra 55 to get them powder coated. haven't received them yet. how hard was the install? I have a small dent in the rocker from where I pushed the stock step into it do you think this will cause a problem?
I have the Shrockworks rockers as well. The install was very easy. The only PITA was drilling the rear most hole. I had to drill through the roll bar floor mount and that hard epoxy Jeep throws over it. Real PITA! But otherwise no problems, make sure you have a decent drill and drill bits and you will have no problem. You will be glad you went with the powdercoating. I have bashed my rockers often barely made it through the powdercoat, and other times didn't. Very thick stuff and good looking as well.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wazzupwhite said:
I just bought a set of the shrockworks rocker guards. I paid the extra 55 to get them powder coated. haven't received them yet. how hard was the install? I have a small dent in the rocker from where I pushed the stock step into it do you think this will cause a problem?

As stated very easy to install...although I don't recall having to drill the roll bar mount for mine.. let me go look.....nope the rear bracket is located just beyond the lower seat frame positon on mine, and about 4" away from the lower roll bar tub mount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
4Jeepn said:
As stated very easy to install...although I don't recall having to drill the roll bar mount for mine.. let me go look.....nope the rear bracket is located just beyond the lower seat frame positon on mine, and about 4" away from the lower roll bar tub mount.
Might be because I have an LJ? :confused:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
U.S.MarineLJ said:
Might be because I have an LJ? :confused:
Could be LJ thing, or just a design change in the mounting bracket for the newer ones.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top