Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week three of us did two days of wheeling at the Superlift ORV Park in Hot Springs. Wow, what fun! I got away without much damage. I did come down hard on a rock and split one of the plastic side steps. It sounded like a rifle shot. I am looking at the Rubicon Rocker to replace them. Will these provide good side and bottom protection? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
What trail did you get the damage on? Rubicon Ridge has a narly rock garden and thats what convinced me to buy sliders.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't remember which trail it was. We were on our way to an overlook and the trail was rated a 3. It was extremely steep and I was trying to creep over and around a large rock in the middle of the trail. I tried a couple of trails rated 4, but had to turn around and go back. I want to go back with a camper and spend a week. It is a great place to wheel.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I pushed one of the side steps up into the rocker denting it. Here is my solution. XRC rock sliders. 4WD shipped and installed at 4WParts. Price was good.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Check out this post from several days ago with pictures of a few ideas.
"help me justify rocker panel protection"

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
I don't know if this is a style you're interested in, but I got the Rugged Ridge RRC Side Armor recently, which acts as a side step as well. They're amazing. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I added the Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers 2 weeks ago and took off the OEM steps. I get to try them out this weekend.

What I like about them is they are tight against the frame and body giving a little extra clearance, mounted to the frame and the body, and included the body armor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! Those are really cool. I went to the Jeep Dealership today and have decided to go with either the Rubicon or enhanced Rubicon rails. $250 or $495 but they look great. Love my Jeep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Don't buy them from the dealer if you can help it.... at least look around for better pricing... ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey: I did check around and the dealer is the best price by forty dollars. I am going with the standard Rubicon Rail. They look best and should be ok for the wheeling that I do.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
...I am going with the standard Rubicon Rail...
You can always upgrade the stock rails in the future (stock bottom, upgraded top):

On my Jeep:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joe002: The stock rails look a little wimpy. Now I am thinking maybe I should go with the enhanced rails. Are those MOPAR rails?

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you are looking for some sliders that will take a beating check out the LoD, ShrockWork, EVO and Poison Sypder Rocker Knockers

Those are the others I was considering before I went with the Brawler Rockers. Most of them require additional mounting points so the mounts more securely than the OEM step/rails. The EVOs have to be welded on if my memory serves me correct and I think the LOD and Shrockworks ones can be as well.

Joe002: The stock rails look a little wimpy. Now I am thinking maybe I should go with the enhanced rails. Are those MOPAR rails?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Look at the poison spider dyi rico steps. They weld to your rubi rails and are super tough.

·
Get your Jeep dirty!!!
762 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The top and bottom rails are both the stock Rubicon rails. I assume the MOPAR rails are the stock Rubicon rails too. The top rail has nurf bars and extra supports welded on, which is something you can do later. I ran the stock ones for a couple of years, then had the extra welded on later.

Also, if you are going to get the stock Rubicon bars I bet you can find a good price for them on Craigslist, or on a forum where someone switched out their stock sliders for some other ones. You can touch up scrapes with paint, and if you decide to add extra to the sliders you can have them power coated so they look like new.

Here’s a shot after I had the work finished and had them power coated:

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you are looking for some sliders that will take a beating check out the LoD, ShrockWork, EVO and Poison Sypder Rocker Knockers

Those are the others I was considering before I went with the Brawler Rockers. Most of them require additional mounting points so the mounts more securely than the OEM step/rails. The EVOs have to be welded on if my memory serves me correct and I think the LOD and Shrockworks ones can be as well.
gcrissman - How do you like the Poison Spyder ones? THese are the ones I am looking at getting.

·
account closed
417 Posts
I added the Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers 2 weeks ago and took off the OEM steps. I get to try them out this weekend.

What I like about them is they are tight against the frame and body giving a little extra clearance, mounted to the frame and the body, and included the body armor.

I love the look of these and Im in the market for some rock rails. Where did you purchase these and how much am I looking at. The poison spyder seems to be the way to go from what im reading. Anyone have any more input? I want to get the best protection available, its very important to me for what I plan on doing with my Jeep. I have been adding armor and will be throughout the winter and dont want to cut corners in anyway. Thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 24 Posts