Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98' TJ with minimal rust but I need to tend to some rust on my driver side rocker. The paint is starting to chip away. Tomorrow i'm going to hopefully go to a body shop to get the panel grinded down then shoot it with rustoleum bedliner on both sides. What other prep work should i do? Is this a good idea?:confused:
Money is pretty tight being a college student.
Any info or write-ups greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sorry for picture only one i had now

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
If the body shop is gonna sand it down, have them hit it with some epoxy primer. They shouldn't charge you for the whole gallon.

I would recommend using an epoxy primer like PPG's NCP271,
But seeing you want to save some coin, you can probably get away with an acid etch primer like..
U-Pol Acid #8 - 1K Etch Primer - UP0741

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm didn't think about epoxy. I was watching a couple of YouTube videos and want to knowhow far I should grind down. Just to bare metal? I've never done this before.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'd block sand with 80 grit. Don't need to have entire project bare, just the areas that are rusty. Then tape the section you want to bedline and spray the primer on.

·
Registered
673 Posts
That's savable. Use the eastwood, It'll seal the rust so oxygen won't get to it. Little bit of filler, and then the bed liner, It'll look like new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts