Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there. So I'm new to the Jeep forum but not to 4WD's. For the past 2 decades I have been modifying and wheeling a 1996 Land Rover Discovery. Yes Rubicon tested all the way through. It had ARB's FT and RR, Fox resivor adj. shocks, Rock sliders, and lots of steel all around. 9K warn. Basically a Safari Gard Stage 11 build for anyone familiar. 2 decades of LR was enough.

Out with the LR in with the Jeep.

Just bought a 2014 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Black with clear coat. Lots of bells, Dana 44 Ft&RR. Ft and RR elec. lockers
Looking at something like:
Goals: Keep it low with only 2.5 to 3.5" lift, keeping CG low, with lots of flex. Want stiffer handling. It is a bit "boaty" with the Rubicon suspension. Want greater tracking at higher speeds. It currently seems a bit squirmy at above 65 if making lane changes etc.
1. 35" tires.
2. VKS Rock sliders, frame mounted. I pulled the trigger on these which arrived today. Wanted frame mount, bolt or weld. Did not want body mount. Wanted a step, 40-45 degree upward angle, something to slide on at the sides, be able to handle a 5K Jeep hitting them hard. (My LR weighed 5.5K lbs. when finished.)
3. Metal Cloak 2.5 or 3.5 suspension Or Rock Krawler. Not decided still researching. Maybe the ARB shocks which I have ran previously as well as Fox.
4. This is a DD with a short commute to BART 2 miles.
5. Will add Ft and RR bumbers. Want close in and bomb proof.
6. Winch.
7. Fuel and storage on swinging RR gate. Prefer one handle open/close.
So that's my short list.

Nice to meet you all. Hope to contribute as I learn more about my new Jeep.

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi again.
Build choices thus far
1. VKS frame mounted pre runner sliders.
2. Hansen rear bumper.
Thinking about: seriously:
3. Poison Spyder front mid width winch bumper.
4. Spare carrier:
A. Terra flex HD hinged or Rugged Ridge hinged carrier.
B. Adding a Poison Spyder swing gate to my existing Hansen Bumper. Really like the design of both of these.
5. Lift is still in the air.
A. metal Cloak 3.5"
B. Terra firma
C. Rock Krawler.
D. ?

Currently researching paint colors and prep for the steel.
So far it looks like.
Kleen metal etch.
Rustoleum metal etch and prime
Rustoleum semi gloss granite finish.

Is a Phospheric acid wash necessary to create the "teeth" for solid adhesion? Or will Kleen metal etch do it. Much appreciated.

If you have pointers on bare metal prep without powder coating I would be interested.

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATED Build:
Goals: Keep it low with 3.5" lift, keeping CG low, with lots of flex. Tires 35".
1. VKS Rock sliders, frame mounted. I pulled the trigger on these which arrived today. Wanted frame mount, bolt or weld. Did not want body mount. Wanted a step, 40-45 degree upward angle, something to slide on at the sides, be able to handle a 5K Jeep hitting them hard.
2. Metal Cloak 3.5" suspension.
3. Rancho 9000xl FT Ranrs999331 travel 10.72 RR Ranrs99932 10.42"
Hanson rear bumper with integrated hitch.
4. 1.5" wheel spacers. Running Rubicon wheels for now.
IN THE HOPPER: TBD.
5. Researching rear tire carrier solutions: HD gate: TerraFlex or Rugged Ridge possibly.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,868 Posts
The Rancho 9000 shocks are a nice choice. I like that you can adjust them to your liking and they perform really well. You'll need an exhaust spacer for your lift setup since the exhaust loop will make contact with the driveshaft. I'm going to run the Teraflex hinge carrier. That is a really solid design and prevents warping the tailgate. On your metal prep a good self etching primer is just fine, I use a green scuffy pad to wet sand, dry and wipe with a tacky cloth and denatured alcohol, then primer and bed line. Welcome to the Jeep family by the way! Congrats on the new Jeep purchase and cant wait to see pics of it.

Jeremy

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Welcome, looks like a nice start for a build.

·
Registered
257 Posts
welcome. i can tell you im in process of switching out my AEV lift over to Metalcloak. MC some really nice stuff. to notch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VKS Slider prep.
1. Cleaned with simple green.
2. Cleaned with Garage floor degreaser. Lots of oil film from the raw steel came off with these two prep step.
3. Wet scrubbed with 80 grit purple 3M pad.
4. Applied Krud Kutter Metal Clean and Etch. Mixed 2:1 water. Let sit and scrubbed with 3M 80 grit pad.
5. Rinse rinse rinse.
6. 3 coats Rustelum Metal Etch primer.
7. 3-4 coats Rustelum Satin Black.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next:
LOD mid width front bumper.
Badlands 2k winch.
Poison Spyder or ARB diff covers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts