Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm going to be ordering the RK 3.5 lift for my 02 tj. I'm looking at the rokmen control arms and everyone has good things to say about them. My guest ion is do I need adj. uppers? I heard I don't but I'm not sure. What would be the benefit if any of adjustable all around?

·
Registered
948 Posts
You'll need adj uppers if are going to use a SYE/CV setup which should be used when lifting a jeep. Unless you are going to do a TC drop. Having adj all around will make it easier to fine tune your suspension so that it will ride better.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I'm getting a sye. I just heard some people say uppers was a waste so I was just checking before I drop a grand on some arms

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Those people didn't know what they were talking about. You will need adjustable rear uppers and lowers to properly dial in your rear driveline after SYE and CV ds

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright cool thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes rock krawler. And because if I buy the entry kit I can get the rokmen adjustables with jjs on both ends. The price difference is only 200$ and I don't have to worry about the poly bushings

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yeah the person who told you that you don't need adj arms for a sye/cv, you should not ask them for any jeep help. At minimum you need upper adj arms when using a sye/cv.

So if you are not going to use the arms from RK then what are you getting from them? Just springs? Why not buy a MetalCloak or Currie kit instead of buying parts from different companies.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya ill just be getting the springs pretty much from RK. I thought about the currie and metal cloaks. But I heard Currie sags as for metal cloak springs I definitely thought about it. But I've just seen and heard the RK springs are pretty nice. I'm liking the piecing together lift because I can get exactly what I want/need.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The Rokmen arms are actually at a very good price point. You can't really build them much cheaper than what they charge. The upside to the Rokmen arms is they use a much larger DOM tube than most manufacturers.

Nothing wrong with piecing your setup together from different companies. Sometimes that's what it takes to get your suspension tailored to your jeep.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Savvy? :hide:
FWIW the Rokmens were my second choice.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what do you think then. Does the set up I want to run seem pretty legit and great flex or just go metal cloak lift? I'm just not too sure on the MC because its new and there's no real warranty. Also not a lot of miles have been put on that lift to see what goes first or what needs attention as far as parts go. I'm stuck between my Frankenstein lift or just ful MC

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Edit: RK 3.5 spring 8 rokmen adj arms bilstein 5100s. Or metal cloak springs 8 rokmen adj arms bilstein 5100s or just full 3.5 MC or full RK.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I know nothing of RK or MC springs, I assume they are of good quality. Those Rokmen arms are way beefy and are an awesome choice. The Bilsteins are also sweet.
I'd rule out full RK to start with.
Then decide which joints you want.
Check this out to read up on the Duroflex joints.
I came to the conclusion that they sound great but that I was happy with JJ's. I just ordered a set of Savvy arms with JJ's because the Currie arms that the p.o. installed are toast. I looked long and hard at the MC DF joints but decided that I knew what I was getting with JJ's and that they work perfectly for me. To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the jjs are good? I've never used /had them before but hear good things.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Before the MC duroflex joints came out, the JJ's were widely regarded as the best off the shelf joint for a street/offroad Jeep. Now it's a toss up with some people starting to lean towards the DF joints. Others are diehard JJ supporters and anything else is blasphemy. I just bought what I knew would work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright thanks. I'm kind of leaning towards full MC lift now. I think I may just pull the trigger on them here shortly

·
Registered
316 Posts
Cool, my Savvy arms should be on a truck soon and then I can get back on the trails.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
You really can't go wrong with MetalCloak or Currie joints. Both manufacture great springs, with Currie having the tried and true spring of choice for many....I wouldn't put RK on that level.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts