Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background info. I am swapping in a Dana 60 in the stock location and the diff cover is rubbing the factory skid. Not a big deal, but the clearance of the fender wells with 37's leave a lot to be desired. The front of the wheel wells don't leave you a lot of room to trim the sheet metal. Maybe 1/2 - 3/4". So I would like to push the axle back about an 1" so it give me a little more clearance along with the trimming.

Does the the Rokmen skid give the 1" behind the diff it claims?
What other skid give the additional clearance behind the diff?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I have a rokmen gas tank skid with and 8.8 rear axle that has a heavy duty diff cover, with the axle in the stock location it has very little room between the diff cover and skid. Since the d60 is bigger I think you will still have issues without modding the tank and skid.
Lots of people have had luck with cutting clearance in the gas tank skid then putting a little heat to the gas tank itself to re shape it, check it out here.
Rear Stretch = Modified Stock YJ Plasic Fuel Tank - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

·
Registered
923 Posts
nice tires

I worked with Rokmen before you can always call them and they will let you know the best route to take.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The highest-clearance gas tank skid around is the Savvy....it moves the tank back as far as physically possible.

Otherwise, it's stretch tank or fuel cell time.
Fuel cell is not an option. I want to keep the back seat and what little cargo room there is :).

The stretch tank is going to happen in the future when I plan on stretching it out and going to ORI's etc. But I just may bite the bullet and get the tank and skid now :banghead:

I will call Savvy later this afternoon though.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Yup I think savvy is about the best you can do. That said the Rokmen worked well for me and as you can see the axle got pushed back a little. Before and after. 8.8 and solid cover. With the 60 I would definitely go savvy and work with what you get.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
What about just going with a Genright stretch tank? The $300+ you'll spend on a cover for the stock tank will go a long way to paying for a Genright tank and skid and just being done with it from the start.

*Nice choice of corner armor. I also have the Genright corners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts