Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to remove the 94 roll bar and replace with a set of 87-91 roll bars? If its possible how difficult is it?

·
Administrator
12,502 Posts
yes..but depending how rusted things are.. could be a pain, bolts out or cuts out... Also why? the older bar provides less protection. The newer style make it easier to add a better full cage if you want.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
The torx bolts that hold the sport bar (or family bar) to the floor and wheel housings have threadlocker (Loctite) from the factory and are darn near impossible to get out without heating them with some sort of torch. A hair dryer or heat gun won't provide enough heat within a reasonable amount of time. A small propane torch will heat the torx bolts that attach the strut bars to the windshield frame well enough. You can protect the paint on the windshield frame with several layers of duct tape. Have a spray bottle with water handy when doing so.
A plumbers propane torch will work for the floor and wheel housing torx bolts, but an oxyacetylene torch works best.
Then make sure you have the correct sized torx bit for each application.

I prefer the looks of the early sport bar to the later family bar, but with a early sport bar, a frameless soft top won't fit. I'm OK with the early sport bar because I don't run a back seat and have no need of rear seat belts.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info thanks

Thanks for sharing this. I have several projects ahead of this which being really an aesthetic thing keeps it at or near bottom of the list.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. I have several projects ahead of this which being really an aesthetic thing keeps it at or near bottom of the list.
It doesn't cost anything to advertise on Craigslist. If you put an ad on CL stating you have a family bar for sale and want a sport bar in it's place, you might get the sport bar for free and make a couple bucks in the process.
Either that or you can have the buyer of your family bar do all the work. Have him take his out first to insure that he won't bugger you'rs up and then just walk away.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Commercial Member
2,228 Posts
I see that swap advertised often around this area. Sport to famil bar and vice versa. I bet with a little patience it'll pay off.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I wanted a sport bad for my 94. But now the way my jeep is set up i cant get rid of the family bar because my Yeti 45 fits on the fender perfectly with it and i finally made my hi-lift jack mounts for the family bar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts