Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the basic one that goes from the fender wells curve up to the bar behind the seat, then a bar on each side goes to the windshield.

I think it looks good like this, what are benefits of the family roll cage?

I bought my jeep and the guy gave me some extra rollbar pieces that he cut from another jeeps rollbar, I guess its to make a family style?

What should I do?

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you have passangers ever ride in your back seat, esp when wheeling the family roll cage is much safer. If not i wouldnt worry about it unless you like the look more.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
H2_recoveryteam said:
If you have passangers ever ride in your back seat, esp when wheeling the family roll cage is much safer. If not i wouldnt worry about it unless you like the look more.
I plan on putting a carseat back there :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Family roll bar was introduced in 92 by law to incorporate 3-point seat belts for the rear passengers. To really be effective there should be a support across the two back bends to keep the bars from just folding over.

Here's a few sites that sells pre-bent tubes that you can weld in place. I have a family bar from a 95 that I'll be putting in over the winter...with a "Rear Spreader Bar".

Trail Cage Tubes

Jeep TJ Cage Rear Spreader Bar Kit | Jeep TJ LJ Roll Bar | Jeep TJ LJ Roll Cage | Poison Spyder Customs

No Weld Jeep Roll Cages - JP Magazine

·
Registered
161 Posts
Go ahead and use the tubes you have. In my opinion, a larger "family" style cage really changed the look of your rig when the top is off. And not to mention the added safety for the passengers in the back.

Installing tubes isn't too difficult. You can get the tubes from suppliers like in the above post. You'll just have to find someone (if you don't have the means) to weld it up for you.

Just be aware that some tubes in certain places may interfere with your top(s) fitment. So check things before you make things permanent.

Picture of my cage:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts