Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for, Bolt in or weld in. Off the shelf or custom built. That being said, depending on what kind of wheeling you are doing a simple bolt in trail cage may be just what you need.

Here is mine, Its just a Rock Hard bolt in

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Poison Spyder, and Poly Performance both have full weld in cage kits that you can buy and just weld together yourself. Or if you have a local 4x4 shop that does fabrication/welding, they can bend you a custom cage for your rig.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
PSC has a nice trail cage

·
Registered
127 Posts
The Or-Fab one still ties to the windshield.
It does, show me where.

Here is something else to think about. Orfab cage uses through bolts to hold the cage together, and they include grade 5 bolts for this. Not very strong IMO.

yeah the rock hard uses clamps, but if I loosen all my dash bar bolts, I still cannot move the bar...even with a rubber mallet! (I was trying to move it up to get the dash apart, should have mounted it higher :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
547 Posts
if it doesnt bolt to the windshield how does the windshield stay standing if you come to a sudden stop.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Their are still two bolts in the sides of the hinges of the windshield that hold it, also so does the top (when its up/on)

The rock hard still uses the factory side bars that have the factory windshield flanges on them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My mistake, I found another pic of the orfab with an add on bracket(not sure if it is included, it isnt in their website pics)

But this just looks really cheep IMO. Through bolts cannot be very strong. The tubing also looks very thin

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just a quick question to go with this thread (I promise I am not trying to threadjack)... if I only wheel with people up front, and just cargo in the back, would protection for the rear really be necessary?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Yep, the Or-Fab came with Grade 5's but I replaced them with Grade 8's. The windshield brackets did come with the kit, and the main bars that replace the OEM bars are one piece wrap around. The floor mount kit adds strength by adding an additional piece of steel on either side of the main bar at the dash. Your decision on what you want to go with. I have seen a rollover with the same cage I have installed and my friend was in perfect health afterwards.

The cages all have there good and bad, I personally would take any performance tested bolt in cage like rock hard or Or-Fab over the stock bar.

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
2018 JLUR on tons and 40's.
6,852 Posts
After seeing the Poly Cage I don't know how anyone can go a different route. Unless you can pry Blue Torch to bend you up something. I plan to pull my PSC cage and stuff it in my wifes jeep in exchange for a through the dash setup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts